Another CTSW under $60k

Cluemeister

No injuries, but damage.  From Kathryn's report: 

The pilot stated that the winds were gusting from 14 to 19 knots when he was cleared to land on runway 17. As the pilot reduced the airspeed, the airplane "lost lift and began to drop rapidly." The pilot added full power; however, the airplane landed hard, bounced, and porpoised. The nosewheel landing gear bent aft resulting in substantial damage to the firewall. The pilot reported no preaccident mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation. Wind at the time of the accident was recorded as 090 degrees at 9 knots, gusting to 14 knots.

Is this a weather condition that makes a CTSW harder to land than a CTLS?

No

Cheers

Bill, good advice.  This is why this forum is valuable because we have many experienced pilots who offer advice we all learn from.  Regarding the damage to the plane in question here, there was a CTSW that was in the shop I use here in Michigan that came in for repair.  Front strut bent back into the firewall which in turn took out the engine mount because the nose strut attaches to this.  Firewall cracked and fuselage cracked on each side.  I thought it would be a write-off but FD USA sent detailed repair instructions and a talented composite repair guy - who is also certified to do Cirrus composite repair - put it back together.  It looked good and the owner told me it flew good afterwards.  I didn't find out what this cost but it had to be expensive.  I think the front strut alone is over $4K and the plane was in the shop for 3 months.

Andy, as you know, even with composite gear the CTLS doesn't lend itself well to any thing that even comes close to a carrier landing.  Although it may have looked like I was trying to do my best carrier landing, my first few CTLS landings weren't pretty but "no harm, no foul"!  :-) 

Cluemeister, welcome and don't be shy about asking questions.  This is how we all learn.  As for the situation this pilot found himself in, I have had wind shear occur during the final phase of landing where I have been about 50 feet from the ground.   Wind coming up the runway about 18kts and gusting to 26kts.  All is going well, good attitude, keeping some power to offset the oncoming wind and getting ready to go into ground effect in a few feet and then, BANG!, the lift goes completely away and I'm dropping like a stone.  Just when it dawns on me that it would really be a good time to add a lot more power and I was starting to push the throttle lever, the plane found lift and stopped it's drop to the runway. I proceeded to land with no more drama.  At the rate I was dropping and because I was very close to the ground and was behind the power curve, it is questionable if added power would have save me and quite possibly, the end result may have been similar to this pilot's accident.  Lesson here for me:  Do not get complacent after hundreds of landings and always be ready on short final to react to the unexpected.

Cluemeister.  if you don't have a lot of stick-and-rudder experience (real stick and real foot work) or experience in light aircraft in winds you will want to hire an experienced CFI in the FD and get a couple of hours of landings down.  

The plane is slippery (carbon fiber) and the controls very quick and responsive, nothing like a Cessna 172 and planes like it.  The FD can be landed on grass and hard runways, but it is not an STOL and will not be happy with anything like a drop from height to the surface.  Also, the siteview is unique as the nose is short and tapers  such that you can't see the nose when landing...the plane appears to be landing sideways when you are going straight and the nose will seem too high when you are doing it right.  You have to keep the landing track (centerline or any other runway landmark between your legs and find out which technique you like the most, some land with 30 degree full flaps, some land with 15 degree flaps.  Then learn how to manage energy (throttle) for wind both cross and upwind when its above calm.

The plane needs very little runway to both takeoff and land, under 500 feet.  So you don't need to worry about running out of runway...patience is the biggie with the product.

Andy, as you know, even with composite gear the CTLS doesn't lend itself well to any thing that even comes close to a carrier landing.  Although it may have looked like I was trying to do my best carrier landing, my first few CTLS landings weren't pretty but "no harm, no foul"!  :-) 

Totally agree, I was just ribbing you.  But it took a *long* time for me to get the round out height and speed right on my CTSW.  I would say it was a year or more before I was making very consistent soft landings.  Before then about a third of them were of the "round out too high, balloon, and drop onto the runway".  Not anything like a true hard landing, but, um..."firm".  ;)  I called those my "carrier landings".

I found that rounding out as low as possible, and keeping he approach speed at 50-52 knots solo and 52-55 knots with a passenger totally cured the problem.  These airplanes have low inertia and you need to keep the plane flying almost right to the ground.  Any excess speed will inevitably turn into a balloon or a float much farther down the runway than intended.

Ham-fisting the stick also makes the above problems worse; you really need very little back pressure to go from the descent to level flight just before touchdown.  Ask me how I know.  :D

Archived