RPM readout

Rich

Good evening,

Just took my plane up after 6 weeks of inactivity. Remember on a previous thread, problems with the  APIII, MP and RPM issues with my Tru Trak unit.

They fixed the manifold pressure issue and the plane seems to fly level with the AP turned on. So bumpy it was hard to nail it down.

The RPM readout still reads 700 RPM at 75% power. If it's not the TT unit, can it be the pickup in the engine? Something else?

It reads correctly at idle but when the throttle is advanced it goes low again.

Really frustrated at this point. Any help would be appreciated as always------Rich

What have they done to address this issue so far?

Do these steps in order, fixing as issues are found:

1. Is there a trutrak setting that might affect this? Ask TruTrak support for any quick tips.
  2. Do you have another tach to plug into the tach cable from the engine as a quick and dirty test? If you don't have one, or the test tach works normally, read on.
  3. Make sure connectors are clean and snug (pins should not look deformed, and should have clean and firm engagement). This includes the tach cable from the engine, and the pins to the back of the trutrak unit. If this doesn't solve it, read on.
  4. Do a continuity check of the wires and pins. They should read near 0 ohms.
  5. Is the back of the engine easily accessed (in other words, is this a CT or is it something a lot easier?)? If so, have the pickup checked. If it's difficult to access, try step 4 first, it might save time. If the problem isn't yet solved, read on.
  6. Do you have access to an oscilloscope and know how to use it? The Rotax heavy maintenance manual describes what the tach signal will look like on a scope. Hook into the pins at the back of the trutrak unit. Tell us conclusions from it. If this is the last step for you, you really, really need to check it with a scope, because the last step could be expensive. If the scope is good, read on.
  7. RMA the trutrak unit.

Corey,

The unit was sent back to Tru Trak for the above posted issues.

They repaired both the EDM and APIII which leads me to believe it's some other issue.

Will a regular tach be good enough to sense the Rotax pulses or is a special tach needed due to the two firings per cycle?

Corey,

I called TT today and was told the tach system on the unit was checked and working properly.

This leaves the pick-up or the connection points. I'm leaning towards the pick up unit.

If that's the case, how much do you figure to get it fixed?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, The problem with the low voltage in the unit was solved and the bench check of the RPM's was done. So why the erroneous readout? 

When they bench tested the unit, the RPM setting was set to "4" instead of the number "1". I found the problem while waiting on a friend for lunch. Figured I'd take a look in the set-up menu. There are four settings in the TruTrak APIII for the correct tack readout. 1, 1.5, 2 and 4

All is well :) Finally!

Corey,

Thanks for your input.

I had mentioned to them that it was reading a Rotax 912. If they sent it back with the correct setting it would have saved us some time.

After calling them and verifying a good bench test, they said it had to be something not related to the unit itself. I had quite the smile when I put the setting on #1 and the tach responded as it should.

Thanks again for you input and time. Very much appreciated

Rich

Archived