Government Putting More Ethanol in Our Fuel

Runtoeat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ethanol is one of those things that I'm really not sure about. Supposedly, it decreases carbon monoxide emissions. This I'm having trouble finding a lot of reliable research for though (admittedly, I don't have a lot of time for this).

On the other hand though, ethanol is an octane booster. Back when petrol refinement was not standardized (turn of the 20th century), it was used to great effect, it would considerably boost the octane.

Once lead got pulled out of gas, something had to be used in its place. MTBE was used. Now it's pretty much completely banned, so something else needs to be used, and ethanol is it. Without the octane boosting, considerably more expensive refining methods have to be used to get closer to the "magic 100" number. As for how much it would actually cost... again, can't find the answers (but don't have the time to look too hard)!

Guess my "rant" resulted in an interesting discussion.  I originally brought up this subject because I am concerned about our government's plan to go past the current 10% ethanol in 2016 - which begins tomorrow.  There are currently large distilleries in many states which are pumping out ethanol.  New distilleries are being built and new pipelines are now being built to add to the current ones to carry this to refineries.  There is going to be a very large increase of methanol being produced and our government has dictated (which is how we now carry out business in Washington) that this will be mixed into our fuel. This will screw up a lot of fuel systems, including, perhaps, the fuel system on our CT's?  Guess this can be added to the wind and solar boondoggles.  Oops, don't want to go there.

Guess my "rant" resulted in an interesting discussion.  I originally brought up this subject because I am concerned about our government's plan to go past the current 10% ethanol in 2016 - which begins tomorrow.  There are currently large distilleries in many states which are pumping out ethanol.  New distilleries are being built and new pipelines are now being built to add to the current ones to carry this to refineries.  There is going to be a very large increase of methanol being produced and our government has dictated (which is how we now carry out business in Washington) that this will be mixed into our fuel. This will screw up a lot of fuel systems, including, perhaps, the fuel system on our CT's?  Guess this can be added to the wind and solar boondoggles.  Oops, don't want to go there.

This could certainly cause problems for our CTs.  I know in other parts of the world CTs are flying with higher ethanol content, but the factory guidance is that ethanol up to 10% is acceptable.  So going beyond that number would be done at one's own risk.  Also, as Doug noted, higher ethanol content will mean less range in our airplanes.

I have tested the ethanol in the BP-branded 93 octane gasoline I put in my airplane, and it seems to fall about 6%.  I guess I will start doing periodic re-testing of my fuel.  If it goes above 10% I will have to figure something else out.  We have ethanol free gas available at a few stations around (for boats, ATVs, and other 'off road' uses), but the octane is 90, below the 91 specified by Rotax.  I could cut it with a little 100LL, but then I'd have all the issues associated with lead use.  If I cut it with the higher ethanol 93 octane gas, I'd probably have to go 50/50 mix to get to 91 octane.  The logistics of that start to get annoying.

You would need a rather insignificant amount of 100LL to push it 1 point. Or you can add toluene (114 octane when pure). Toluene is already added to gas as an additive, and more is used for racing fuels.

Yeah, probably a half gallon or so per side in full tanks would do it, but I try to keep as much lead away from my engine/gearbox as possible.  I will look into the toluene solution, thanks!

This could certainly cause problems for our CTs.  I know in other parts of the world CTs are flying with higher ethanol content, but the factory guidance is that ethanol up to 10% is acceptable.  So going beyond that number would be done at one's own risk.  Also, as Doug noted, higher ethanol content will mean less range in our airplanes.

I have tested the ethanol in the BP-branded 93 octane gasoline I put in my airplane, and it seems to fall about 6%.  I guess I will start doing periodic re-testing of my fuel.  If it goes above 10% I will have to figure something else out.  We have ethanol free gas available at a few stations around (for boats, ATVs, and other 'off road' uses), but the octane is 90, below the 91 specified by Rotax.  I could cut it with a little 100LL, but then I'd have all the issues associated with lead use.  If I cut it with the higher ethanol 93 octane gas, I'd probably have to go 50/50 mix to get to 91 octane.  The logistics of that start to get annoying.

Or use LL with Decalin. TCP.

Cheers

Anyone know how effective decalin is in removing lead from 100LL?  Does lead level drop to 6 to 10% levels similar to MoGas?  Like Andy says, we do not want any lead in our fuel, if possible.  I've seen a sprag clutch removed from a 912ULS that was plugged with lead and Roger shown some pretty ugly pictures of the effects of lead contamination.

Anyone know how effective decalin is in removing lead from 100LL?  Does lead level drop to 6 to 10% levels similar to MoGas?  Like Andy says, we do not want any lead in our fuel, if possible.  I've seen a sprag clutch removed from a 912ULS that was plugged with lead and Roger shown some pretty ugly pictures of the effects of lead contamination.

I have an anecdote. The previous owner of my airplane used exclusively 100LL in my airplane. He used TCP on every fill up and changed the oil at 25 hrs. When the "transmission" was serviced , I was told there were no Lead deposits and that in fact it looked very good.

Cheers

Exports of Taxpayer-Subsidized Ethanol to China Grew 975% in 2015

Scuse stated, “U.S. ethanol exports to China have jumped from $8 million to more than $86 million since our May 2014 visit. In October, we exported more ethanol to China than in the previous 10 years combined.”

Ethanol production in America is subsidized to the tune of billions of dollars each year by the government. This production has grown since an increasing number of taxpayer dollars have been added to subsidy.

How does this apply to the fuel I put in my airplane? This belongs in random thoughts rather than politicizing this conversation.

This might screw up our fuel systems and its nothing but politics there is no real benefit only cost. Is it a political benefit or an unintended consequence that results in subsidizing China?  I would rather have cheaper gas and a pristine fuel system.

How does this apply to the fuel I put in my airplane? This belongs in random thoughts rather than politicizing this conversation.

Notice the thread title? 'Government Putting More Ethanol in Our Fuel'

Ethanol is a political football from the get go.  

Doug, why do you spend so much time policing my posts?

Seems to me if someone doesn't want a hot debate or a politically charged post dissected then better not to post them. There are never any winners in politics and religious discussions and if you're thin skinned you'll always be the looser. Better to just leave these emotionally charged outings at home.

When the govt forces us to buy a commodity that we don't want, like corn in our fuel there are unintended consequences like incompatibility with fuel systems and performance issues as well as transfer of wealth.  We can discuss the problems caused but until we discuss the govt mandate there is little that can be done except discussing it.

Granted we used to talk about washing the fuel to remove the ethanol, I prefer to also question why it is there in the first place and whether or not the practice should be continued. I don't care if its the left or right currently in charge, it doesn't matter ethanol lives on no matter who is in charge.

Are we now so sensitive that we cannot even question the wisdom of the bureaucracies that remain after sides change?

Should we only discuss how to live with lead and ethanol and not how to phase them out if they are bad ideas?  I can see how some think such discussion should be silenced and in this current climate silence is happening from aviation web sites to university campuses, buy why?  I don't understand this new right to not be offended.

I am certainly not offended by the discussions.  Good to see both sides and then I can make my own decisions but....

Really not happy that I am unable to purchase non ethanol fuel (besides 100) for my Cessna in Arizona.  The refinery's will not provide, the stations will not provide, and no one in Tucson will provide.  I know there is demand so why can't we get it?

Notice the thread title? 'Government Putting More Ethanol in Our Fuel'

Ethanol is a political football from the get go.

Doug, why do you spend so much time policing my posts?

CT, Government Putting More Ethanol in Out Fuel (even without shouting) is not the same as "Government Sends More Ethanol to China." One (although it is not accurate - it is proposed, not a fact) would affect my CT. The other from dubious source Brietbart.com, will not.

Sorry CT, you can't in one place complain that people try to silence climate deniers, and in the next try to shout down someone who questions why you are politicizing a good discussion.

I know your usual tactic is to shift to a different topic. I am talking only about the China post. So please limit your response to that post and how it, if it is true, affects the fuel or fluids (you did notice that is the thread, right) in my CT.

CT, Government Putting More Ethanol in Out Fuel (even without shouting) is not the same as "Government Sends More Ethanol to China

Its not the govt sending fuel to China and its not a proposal its a report of a 975% growth in subsidized ethanol going to China in 2015.

This means the US taxpayers in 2015 began paying millions of dollars to subsidize China's fuel. A brand new unintended consequence funded by me and you every time we fuel our CTs.  Before I can tell my representatives that I no longer want to subsidies China's fuel (of big corn farmers) I have to know it is taking place.

You keep making these comments on sources, Breitbart is simply reporting what was said by the source: 'U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Under Secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services Michael Scuse'.

Ok, I repeat. What does government subsidy for ethanol sent to China have to do with the fuel put in my CT?

Please answer the question? I am trying to keep it simple and straight forward.

If Brietbart is such a good source (some if the stuff the report certainly isn't - if you want unbiased try Stratfor.com) why use the secondary source, and, why bring China exports into this at all? You would think you are trying to make a political point, not an aviation one. Put it in Random, not here!

Archived