Hours Flown in 2015

FlyingMonkey

Another option is to do a "dry run" with an AME.  Let him know you want to pay for an hour of consult time, NOT a physical.  Sit down with him and go over everything in your medical record in detail.  Have him check your blood pressure, test blood A1C (diabetes screening) and anything else that could unexpectedly cause an instant deferral to the medical branch in Oklahoma City.

If everything works out fine on the dry run and the AME sees no problems, you can be pretty confident and schedule your actual FAA medical exam for just as soon as you can.  An accommodating AME might get it done the same day using some of the measurements he's already taken.

WORD OF CAUTION:  It's very tempting to lie on an FAA medical form, or leave things out.  Don't do it!  A lot of pilots have come to grief this way when the FAA finds out and revokes their medical (fines and possibly jail time could theoretically result also, since it would be perjury).  Better to just go Sport Pilot than to always fly under a cloud (pun intended), never knowing at what point the FAA might show up demanding your medical and maybe your pilot certificate and ending your dreams of flying forever.

Thanks Andy,

I have read extensively about the medical hurdles others have endured.  I don't think I have anything to worry about, (no DUI's, no prescription meds, no known health issues), but you just never know.  I'm not 18 anymore. :)  I like your dry run suggestion.  And I will not lie to the FAA.  That would be bad.

I do need a physical to qualify for a new life insurance policy, so that's going to happen.  

Thanks again.

Somebody asked me a question about medical "dry runs" being legal.  The key is that you have to be explicit that the meeting is *not* a medical, then it's legal.

Once an AME starts a medical for real (accepts your medical form), he/she has only two choices:  issue a medical, or defer the decision to the FAA medical branch in Oklahoma City.  He or she can't stop the medical or say "these results don't look good, why don't you come back next week and we will try again."

But it is totally legal for an AME to consult with you in detail ABOUT your medical and your prospects for passing it.

This is the reason I plan to go the Sport Pilot route. Over the years I've lost track of how many planes I've seen for sale due to not passing the medical. I will accept the limitations of this license knowing that for my retirement I should be able to fly as long as I'm able to drive. I have hyper tension that is treated with meds, also have type 2 diabetes which is treated. I know both of these if successfully being treated wouldn't fail the medical, but hey I'm getting older and would be scared of flunking a medical which as I understand would close the door even on a Sport Pilot license. I have given thought of a Glider license with self launch endorsement. This wouldn't be as restrictive as the Sport Pilot ticket, but as long as Canada requires a medical for their airspace, it won't allow a trip to Alaska.   

Somebody asked me a question about medical "dry runs" being legal.  The key is that you have to be explicit that the meeting is *not* a medical, then it's legal.

Once an AME starts a medical for real (accepts your medical form), he/she has only two choices:  issue a medical, or defer the decision to the FAA medical branch in Oklahoma City.  He or she can't stop the medical or say "these results don't look good, why don't you come back next week and we will try again."

But it is totally legal for an AME to consult with you in detail ABOUT your medical and your prospects for passing it.

Andy, that is the way it used to be before Med Express. You would show up and be handed a numbered form. Once you put your name on the form the exam had begun, and there was no turning back. With Med Express things have changed. The online application doesn't become an official document until it is accessed by the AME with a number you provide. My AME doesn't access the form making it official until the exam is complete and everything is OK. He says that is one of the unintended benefits of Med Express as explained to him when doing training to be a AME on OKC.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.  I'm studying ground school, and have a physical later next month.  Then it's pass a physical, then more life insurance (wife's orders), and then start flying lessons.  Then I find out if I have what it takes to land a plane and do it without killing myself. :)

Get the life insurance before you are a pilot, it's cheaper that way. I had/have a policy with guaranteed rates for 10 years. I asked after starting to train and the agent said the price is still locked in. Btw your lifetime chance of dying in a car accident is a little under one percent, in a GA plane about one in 7,600 if I remember correctly.

MrMorden, I do own my plane since June 2015. Many people told me that I should buy before completing my cert if I plan to own eventually. I have a hanger in moline.

I have about 70 hours since last March, about 100 total hours of training but things are finally jelling. I'm slow because it's difficult for me to walk and chew gum at the same time!

My 2011 CTLS is just a few hours from hitting the 1000 mark. Averaging about 275 year, just off a bit this year. It's amazing how much utility you can get from a lite sport. The LS has been trouble free, and I think the fact it flys several times a week on average keeps the gremlins away.

Archived