ICAO equipment designation

Doug G.

In the US, the FAA equivalent "/g" means GPS with WAAS capability.  There is nothing to my knowledge saying any certification is needed, just the capability.  I think they want to know airplane's capability, not the legal status.  Especially internationally through the ICAO, where certification standards vary between member nations.  

ICAO is the International aviation organization through the UN. I would think there would be some standardization. In my understanding that is why the FAA is going to it's After all FDCT is a standard designator.

It is just that all I have seen is for certified equipment and includes things like VOR which I don't have.

In the US, the FAA equivalent "/g" means GPS with WAAS capability.  There is nothing to my knowledge saying any certification is needed, just the capability.  I think they want to know airplane's capability, not the legal status.  Especially internationally through the ICAO, where certification standards vary between member nations.  

Andy -- For VFR you are correct but not for IFR.  Here's a link that explains the requirements for each type of NAV that one would file: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/flight_plan_filing/media/op_approval_guidance.pdf

Cheat sheet for the various filing options:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/flight_plan_filing/media/FPL_Brochure_(change3).pdf

Note the reference to AIM 1-1-19 that provides the detail with the IFR section listing the certifications required.  Of course for LSA and Experimental the GPS doesn't have to be TSO'ed but must meet the same performance standard.

Archived