El Nino 2016

Ed Cesnalis

California is experiencing a wet year.  Some models are showing a 'pineapple connection' setting up which would mean very high levels of precip. 

19 Commercial flights were cancelled or failed to land in December at Mammoth, my CT has been patiently waiting for a while now, lots of wind and snow days.

Here's the current view of the top of Mammoth Mountain (chair 23) with the Ritter range as background.  From Mammoth Mountain's web site.

post-6-0-73911800-1452961244_thumb.jpg

Mammoth sure brings back memories for me. My family used to ski there a lot in the 50's and I remember one storm in 1959 that kept me in the lodge that during that year was being expanded. I currently live near Placerville and it has been wet this year but we sure need it.

Great to see the Sierra Snow pack and decent snow conditions at Mammoth Lakes!  I used to go several times a year... but in the last decade, I've been lucky to make it up there twice.

El Nino is predicted to bring a good amount of rain to California.  Supposedly the bulk will arrive in February and March.  This has me contemplating the impacts of El Nino and the frequency of my flights those months.  We'll have to see how things go, but one thing is for sure... we need that snow and rain!

Great to see the Sierra Snow pack and decent snow conditions at Mammoth Lakes!  I used to go several times a year... but in the last decade, I've been lucky to make it up there twice.

El Nino is predicted to bring a good amount of rain to California.  Supposedly the bulk will arrive in February and March.  This has me contemplating the impacts of El Nino and the frequency of my flights those months.  We'll have to see how things go, but one thing is for sure... we need that snow and rain!

This phenomenon has caused some unusual weather here in Florida. It has the potential to interfere with the Light Sport Expo at Sebring. We had some Tornadoes in SW Florida this weekend. 2 dead. Frequent Lows from the Pacific have put a crimp on my weekend flying.

Cheers

We have patiently waited for January and the El Nino effect to kick in.  We have got 188" of snow so far, not bad but not big for this date at all.  Now that January is here the El Nino has peaked were are hearing the effect will kick in in Feb/Mar.

Southern California and the Southern Sierra have seen little benefit.  Northern California is doing pretty good but nothing like a pineapple connection yet.

• 1 month later...

Archived