Tundra upgrade

Aero-Nut

I was not sure. It appeared they looked like larger tires. I will check tire size in Saturday as the plane is going through its condition inspection and I will be finalizing the purchase then. I was trying to find pictures to compare but no luck.

ken

Call flight design usa and give them the serial number (you can get that from the faa n number lookup) They will tell you if it does.

Tundra options have structural beefing that is really expensive to do post-production.

Edit: disregard, read below.

It was beefed up around the sockets. planes since about 2009 or 2010 ship by default with this reinforcement even without the tundra option to the US

EDIT: Disregard, did a fact check. FDUSA (Arian) said he believes there is no structural beefing, it's just nosegear, maingear, tires, and fairings, depending on the year.

Honestly, I used to covet the bigger tires, but I think my CT without them is a good bit faster which I like.  I always figure it was only a couple of knots, but I was noticeably faster than the Tundra equipped CTs I flew with at Page, and I flew along with one for 2800+ miles.  At least one person who I think knows a lot about CTs has said that the difference is 5-8 knots, which to me is a lot.  

I have not had any trouble landing on any grass I wanted to land on with my little roller skate wheels and wheel pants, so I've changed my tune.  Rough strips with big gravel and such might be a different story.   

I've been around the CT's since 2007, and the question about the gear has come up before. Early on the structure needed to be beefed up for the tundra gear, but later airplanes of both types of gear had the added structure. I also remember a heavy and light gear leg. I think that change was pre 2006 when most of the airplanes began showing up in the states.

Tom: that makes much more sense! Arian did say there is a heavy and a light version of the landing gear for SWs, but he wasn't around for the earlier SW models.

IIRC, you can tell which legs you have by looking at the attach points in the baggage area. The heavier legs have tubes that flare, the older lightweight tubes are constant diameter. This is all based on conversations I've had; I have never personally seen the older legs, I think they were retired at the beginning of the 2006 model year. The ones in my 2007 model are flared.

Archived