Shoulder room?

Cluemeister

The only room issue for me with the CT is the way the cabin curves inward near your head. In turbulence I occasionally bump the left side of my headset against the side of the cabin. If it gets bumpy I can tilt my head slightly or slide over a bit in the seat and the issue disappears. Using an in ear headset like Clarity Aloft would solve it too.

The CT actually has about 7" more width than a 172 - probably in the seat area because the specs show widest points.  CT specs show 49" cabin width and 172 show 42".  Not sure about the shoulder width of the CT compared to other aircraft.  I know I've got a lot more room when I fly with my buddy in my CTSW than when we fly in his 172, this includes shoulder room (I wear a 42" jacket and my buddy is wider than me).

The only room issue for me with the CT is the way the cabin curves inward near your head. In turbulence I occasionally bump the left side of my headset against the side of the cabin. If it gets bumpy I can tilt my head slightly or slide over a bit in the seat and the issue disappears. Using an in ear headset like Clarity Aloft would solve it too.

I would like have a little more head protection than what Clarity offers.

Does anybody recommend a helmet/headset brand to avoid head banging on

the cockpit wing-spar holder.

Andy, it seems the spar rarely, if ever, poses a threat to occupants in an impact.

The spar in a Pipistrel Virus is much lower and closer to occupants' heads, yet in all the Virus/Sinus accidents that have been investigated, I understand that no head contact with the spar has ever occurred.  I believe this is due to both the restraints and the characteristics of flail during an impact.  

I can't say I liked the spar being as close as it is in the Virus, but the evidence seems to confirm its safety, and many will say that an overhead spar doubles up as protection in an impact, rather than posing a threat.

Archived