CT Display at Sport Aviation Expo

Cluemeister

My wife and I just got back from the show tonight.  We had a really great time, which I'll probably elaborate in more detail on the sport pilot talk forum. 

In the CT booth, there were four planes.  Two CTLSi, and then two used CTSW that were for sale.  I did not see any demo flights being offered in them, as I believe the CTLSi were customer's aircraft.  We did meet Tom from Flight Design, and as you guys have indicated, he was very nice and genuine. 

Unfortunately, when it came to the CTSW, my wife was just ok with it, but not too excited about it.  She did however like the CTLSi mainly because of the storage space inside, and that the plane looked like a bigger plane from the outside.  We sat in the CTLSi Thursday and Saturday.  So now I'm keeping my eyes open for a CTLS.  I'd like the CTLSi, but I'm concerned about  spending too much money on a first plane.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The CTLS looks like a bigger airplane, but it's really not any bigger inside.  The hat rack and rear quarter windows make it seem roomier inside, but the usable space for passengers is the same.  The tail is a little longer in the CTLS, but it's also on average 50lb heavier, meaning 50lb less "stuff" you can carry.  In the CTLSi it's more like 100lb difference.  Many CTLSi have useful loads in the 480lb range.  Just something to consider.  

Something else that can make a CT look bigger is the tundra wheel option.  With the bigger wheels the plane sits higher and looks bigger.

You can't really go wrong with any of them, all the CTs are great, IMO.

Andy - Don't know about the CTSW and the CTLSi being the same size inside, they may be but... having sit in a CTSW I can assure you there is no where near the head clearance in that plane than in the CTLSi.

I think they changed the seat configuration some to make that room. 

Besides having the hat shelf the bulkhead behind the seat was moved back in the CTLS. This allows the seat to be moved further back and reclined a little more at the same time compared to the CTSW, allowing for a more comfortable seating position for taller people. Even then there was a seat clearance issue with the seat hitting the landing gear mount on the early CTLS airplanes not allowing the full range of the seat track to be used. I think it was 2010 before that issue was taken care of. In 2008 I saw a fellow who was 7' 2" sit in a CTLS without any issues.

Archived