Ok, another question. Noise?

Cluemeister

Flying in the Bristell was interesting, as I was surprised how quiet it was.  I don't know if it is the structure of the plane, the 912is, or something else.  

There were no demo flights to judge the sound of the CT running.  It got me to thinking, as I have never ridden in a CT, how loud is it compared to other aircraft?

IrishAl,  the first thing I noticed was when we looked up and it was flying.  It was noticeably quieter than other aircraft up in the sky.  Noticeably quieter.

On the ground, it looks refined.  From my wife's point of view it looked like a real plane, not a light sport, if that makes sense.   Although the CT looks nice on the inside, the Bristell looks very nice.  I didn't expect my wife to care much about any of the planes, but she really liked the Bristell, urging us to take a demo flight.  

The seats were very comfortable, with headrests.  The canopy has a painted top, so it has shade built in.  When the engine was started, it didn't feel like the whole plane was vibrating harshly.  In the air it was very smooth, and for the (short) time I was on the controls, it responded beautifully.  The instrument panel looked like a real plane, not a slapped together kit, if you know what I mean. We landed smoothly, doing a touch and go, and then we took off with flaps still at 30 degrees.  

Just an impressive aircraft through and through.

I can't say there was any difference in the internal noise of CTsw or CTLS, but the impression would be dependent on headsets and RPM.  With everyone flying with excellent headsets these days, I don't know that it would really matter across the board.  The external noise would be pretty much the same with any Rotax, although the 912is supposedly is a bit quieter because of increased noise control for European markets

I can't say there was any difference in the internal noise of CTsw or CTLS, but the impression would be dependent on headsets and RPM.  With everyone flying with excellent headsets these days, I don't know that it would really matter across the board.  The external noise would be pretty much the same with any Rotax, although the 912is supposedly is a bit quieter because of increased noise control for European markets

You should know, having been in both yesterday! Did you fly after we got back from RYN?

I am doubtful the Bristell can be significantly quieter but I have not flown it to say for sure. The 912 rotax is quieter than the continental or Lycoming but once you get up to speed the air seems to be the main noise source anyway. My experience is that the Rotax 914 Turbo equipped planes are the quietest in the Tecnam.

The cirrus is not much different in noise either. The pressurized Piper PA46 is the quietest single engine I have been in but even that did not seem significantly quieter. Is it possibly that you were wearing better noise canceling headsets that you were used to? I remember the first time I flew with Bose headsets and it was eye opening!

Mark

I used to fly around  in a 172 with 4 people. We were able to shout at each other without headsets. In a CT that's not possible. Yet from he ground its much quieter. Apparently the CT's structure does not attenuate sound very well. Perhaps its the light-weight carbon-fiber (you need mass to absorb vibrational energy). Even with the blanket on the firewall, it still sounds like the engine is in the cockpit.

Mike Koerner

• 3 months later...

I am thinking of switching from my old Bose X noise cancelling to something like the clarity aloft  - has anyone used the clarity aloft in a CT that could give their opinion please - or am i better off with the noise cancelling?  

I am thinking of switching from my old Bose X noise cancelling to something like the clarity aloft  - has anyone used the clarity aloft in a CT that could give their opinion please - or am i better off with the noise cancelling?  

I think either is fine, whichever you prefer will work well.  The "in ear" sets like the Clarity Aloft make for less head fatigue, and you don't overheat as much in hot weather.  However, the "over the ear" sets like my Zulu are easier/quicker to take on and off, and might keep your ears warm when flying in cold weather.

I think it comes down entirely to preference.  I owned a Halo (in ear) for a while, and liked it, but getting it on and off was a bit of a pain, and I actually found having something in my ears to be a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours.  But not having all that weight and bulk on my head was great!

On paper the CT and the Cirrus are in the 90+ db range...but in practice the CT is louder, the Cirrus much quieter (despite the big Continental turbo and prop).  Using a noise canceling headset like the Bose A20 will cut the noise entirely...  And both the Cirrus and the CTLSi has a LEMO plug so you can use them directly.  

From inside the cockpit the Bristell is definitely quieter , A lot of high wings are for some reason . From the ground though the CT is definitely the quietest of any I have seen (or heard) .A good test is to try to use your mobile phone without your headset . Not possible at cruise power in CT but not too bad in 172 . The reason the CT is so quiet from the ground is probably aerodynamics it is verrrry quiet with the engine off . From the inside it is all engine noise but the engine is very close to you . Still would never have a low wing .

Archived