New Garin Portable - Aera 660

FlyingMonkey

Forgive me for my ignorance, but it's my understanding that anything installed in the CTLS as part of the original factory equipment list can not be changed without a Letter of Approval from FD.  I would assume the aircraft's only navigational device, namely the 496 in my 2008 model, would certainly meet that regulation.  One could ADD a "portable" GPS of one's choice, but don't we need an LOA to REPLACE the 496 with new 660 or any other GPS? -George

Hey George...

Yes, generally you need factory permission to make any permanent changes.  For Flight Design that consists of their MRA (Major Repair or Alteration) form.  For things like swapping out GPS units or other non-structural or non-critical changes, you can usually send the MRA in as or after the work is performed.  FD charges a $50 (might be $100 now) filing fee, since they have to maintain "per airframe" records of installed equipment essentially forever.

More serious changes usually require some engineering validation from FD, which can get expensive.  I'be been quoted numbers as high as $1500 just for FD Germany to do "engineering studies" to make sure a change is acceptable.

The best thing to do when you are contemplating a change is to contact Arian at Flight Design USA (email:  topservice@flightdesignusa.com ) and ask him what's required.  Most times he'll just say "go ahead and have the work done, and send us the MRA form".  In any event, he'll tell you what FD needs to make the change legal for you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. Money being no object, as technology advances so quickly, one could be tempted to do a panel upgrade at every Annual. I got my transition training in an '09 with the 696 and auto pilot. The bigger 696 certainly gave a better picture. If the unit I have was easier to use, I'd be happy. As it is, I'll probably be looking into the iFly.  Can one strap one of these to a kneeboard like an iPad MINI?

Thanks for the info. Money being no object, as technology advances so quickly, one could be tempted to do a panel upgrade at every Annual. I got my transition training in an '09 with the 696 and auto pilot. The bigger 696 certainly gave a better picture. If the unit I have was easier to use, I'd be happy. As it is, I'll probably be looking into the iFly.  Can one strap one of these to a kneeboard like an iPad MINI?

Why not just use an iPad Mini that is running the iFly software on it.  Just as good as the iFly tablets themselves.  Then you can strap it on your knee or suction cup it right to the 696.

is there a clear winner regarding iFly vs Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight vs Wing X? 

Or is it they are all good, and it's personal preference?

At this point all of those are mature and capable products and it does just boil down to personal preference.

I went with Wing X because at the time it was slightly cheaper and I will probably stick with it for a while because I can use it with a Stratux (www.stratux.me) for ADS-B in w/ AHRS.  I really liked Garmin Pilot when I did their 30 day demo, but there is no inexpensive ADS-B in for Garmin, with the cheapest option being a GDL-39 (or GDL 39 3d if you want AHRS).  Foreflight was also ok when I demo'd it, but back then you were limited to a Stratus for ADS-B in, now they have opened up to other ADS-B sources, but they have effectively blocked cheap AHRS from a Stratux (equivalent to Stratus2).  

That said, the Stratux project is community driven, and as such there are still bugs to be worked out and more code to be written to stabilize the AHRS piece, but I like tinkering and building little Raspberry Pi boxes, so its fun for me.

Bingo!  Personal preference.  All good. Depends on your mission and experience.  I've had subs to FF, WX, GP & Naviator.  'Tried many others for their trial periods.  I've settled on WingX, as it fits my missions and has lots of features for the money (especially the 3 yr deal).  They are also more "open" to working with a variety of hardware.

Funny...

...it's clearly individual preference, and they're all fine, but...

...I also went with WingXPro7 after the free trial, making that three in a row for WingXPro7.

When I made the decision maybe three years ago, the general consensus seemed to be that ForeFlight was marginally better for preflight, but WingXPro7 was a bit more intuitive enroute. With numerous revisions to each over the last 3 years, that may no longer hold, and I have no familiarity with any others.

I'd suggest signing up for free trials of each, and then plan and simulate some flights with each and see which you prefer.

One thing to consider is platform availability as well as your personal feature preference.  I switched to iFly when I retired my iPad in favor of an MS Surface after many years of FF.  iFly has the same feature set and user interface across all of their platforms and plans on supporting Windows 8.1/10 in the near future (right now I run an Android emulator on the Surface with good results).  Garmin Pilot is a different product on Android vs. iOS.  I do considered FF a better product but the major players all have good products that fit most missions.

I have used all of them, and my choice is Garmin Pilot for one simple reason:  It was the only software (not true anymore now that iFly has an app) that has vector maps.  To me that is a major feature.  What's a vector map?  A dynamically-generated and scalable computer image.  And why care?  Three reasons.

Here is a sectional view of my local area:

sectional_zpsguftc1tq.png

And here is the vector map of the same area:

vector_zpsvb4vxlrp.png

Which one of the above is less cluttered and more readable? That's reason one.

Reason two is that I can put whatever info on the maps that I want.  If I don't want to see obstacles, NDBs, VORs, intersections, etc, then I don't have to.  If I want all of that, I can put it on the map.  I personally only usually want airspace and airports, since my terrain and obstacle alerts are handled by my 496.

Reason three is the "track up" problem.  Many if not most pilots (including me) fly with a "track up" orientation to their moving maps, because it provides the best orientation to what you are encountering in flight.  But what happens to a sectional if you are flying track up on a southbound course?  ALL THE TEXT IS NOW UPSIDE DOWN!  The map is oriented north up, and you just flipped it upside down.

Vector maps don't have this problem, because they are labeled and scaled dynamically by the tablet.  It's always in the correct and most readable orientation.

There's nothing wrong with the other programs, but until they "discover" vector maps, I'll be sticking with Garmin Pilot.

Good points Andy.  I've been using my iFly 740 and SkyGuard TWX "ES" for about a month and like it.  I have tried and really liked the simplified display of the Garmin vector display so this was one of the many reasons for going with the iFly GPS and the vector display it provides.  As you indicate, the vector map is much nicer to use than the sectional map!  Another thing about "track up" is, if needed, I can quickly go to "North up" to get my bearings in an unfamiliar area and then go immediately back to "Track up" with vector display.  I am now 2020 compliant.  I have found that keeping the small rubber 4" antennas which come with the transceiver in place and placing the flat blue rubber transmit antenna on my cargo floor allows complete in/out ADS-B reception without mounting external antennas.  However, to be legal for 2020, I will external mount the DeltaPop blade antennas I have purchased.  The iFly does connect to and run the TruTrak autopilot and this is the only direct wiring needed should one wish to run the AP.  All else is WiFi.  It uses the same AirGizmo panel dock as the Garmin 796.  The high qualilty daylight display is great.  Another feature I use a lot is the ability to call up any airport on the screen by touching it.  Instant airport data or WX, frequencies, runways, etc. Also instant ADS-B traffic details.  Touch the screen again and this goes away.  Magic!  Did I mention the AHRS with 9 axis attitude works well?

"Vector" has been in WingX since at least mid 2013, and probably before.  They just don't call it Vector.  Poor marketing on their part.  You just choose "none" on the display view (instead of, say, sectional or terrain).  Then you can add in whatever you want, like runway extensions, obstacles, airspace, terrain overlay, winds, radar, etc.  North Up or Track Up, your choice, with readable text.

"Vector" has been in WingX since at least mid 2013, and probably before.  They just don't call it Vector.  Poor marketing on their part.  You just choose "none" on the display view (instead of, say, sectional or terrain).  Then you can add in whatever you want, like runway extensions, obstacles, airspace, terrain overlay, winds, radar, etc.  North Up or Track Up, your choice, with readable text.

I don't think I've tried WingX since then.  

Not to ruffle any feathers, but my main gripe with WingX is (for me) the interface sucks.  Just not intuitive for me to find what I'm looking for or how to access some functions.  Again, just personal preference.

OTOH, I didn't really like Garmin Pilot's interface either until I figured out that you just get to every major function from the "home" button in the upper left.  Now it seem normal.  Go figure.

• 9 months later...

I previously posted this in another area of this forum.

In Oct 2016 I replaced my 327 transponder with a Garmin GTX 345. Replaced my Garmin 396 with an Aera 660

The 345 is 2020 compliant for ADS-B out and it provides ADS-B in info to the 660. The 660 provides HSI flight plan information to my D-100.

The 660 is panel mounted with an Airgizmo mount

I also keep my iFly 740 attached to the right side of the panel with a suction cup mount. Why? Because I have it and because I see traffic better on the 660 when it is only showing traffic instead of traffic plus sectional. This way I have the sectional displayed on the iFly. I suspect that once I get more familiar with it I will have a different preference.

Archived