Remos Planning Comeback in U.S. with Fuel-Injected Light Sport

stevez2436

I wonder if they pulled the old design because of the fatality rate being so high.

The Remos GXiS with the 912iS engine is not a new design.  Flight Design also had to create fuel rail outdents in the cowling when in came out with the 912iS version three years ago.

Remos GXiS is basically a Flight Design CTLSi with wing struts...a smaller cockpit and a GTN750 option which is cryptic because the unit is needlessly expensive and are mostly useful for IMC flight given the presence of Navcom radios.  SLSA is not allowed into IMC.

One other difference is in the Garmin GFC 700 autopilot and servos compared to the Dynon setup in the FD CT.  The Cirrus autopilot is able to hold in the roughest turbulence and wind.  The Dynon autopilot broke loose more than once on me in light chop.

"The Dynon autopilot broke loose more than once on me in light chop."

Something wrong with yours, mine has never let go under any circumstances, except when I turn it off.

Cheers

The only time my TruTrak has slipped was when I had inadequate trim input and the pitch servo broke loose for a second.  Disconnecting the autopilot and re-trimming the airplane as close to neutral as I could, then re-engaging the AP solved the problem.

The Remos GXiS with the 912iS engine is not a new design.  Flight Design also had to create fuel rail outdents in the cowling when in came out with the 912iS version three years ago.

I think you are right, this appears to be a GX modified to accept the iS engine.  Maybe this is their attempt to re-engage the US market.  A "new" (sort of) airplane, and FD having financial trouble make have combined to cause the folks at Remos to think it's a good time to rebuild in that market.

"The Dynon autopilot broke loose more than once on me in light chop."

Something wrong with yours, mine has never let go under any circumstances, except when I turn it off.

Cheers

Spoke with Dynon about it...they admit that the servos are not robust enough to withstand much turbulence or sudden updraft lift.  The servos are designed with shear pins that will break if the load is exceeded on them.  There is a parameter setting used to define the load point short of the pin shear for this cut-loose action. 

Until you get into some chop like that found around Las Vegas you may not experience the unpleasant effect of the break-loose downward pitch moment.  The system provides yellow warning messages on the MFD when pitch trim is exceeded as a way to avoid sudden movement when the AP is disengaged.  

In the FD I always fly on AP with my hand lightly touching the stick...esp when in turbulence.  Most often when the bumps get rough I don't use the AP at all and hand fly thru it.

The Garmin GFC700 and it's servos by contrast have no such issue...but then of course that AP is much more expensive and certified.

Spoke with Dynon about it...they admit that the servos are not robust enough to withstand much turbulence or sudden updraft lift.  The servos are designed with shear pins that will break if the load is exceeded on them.  There is a parameter setting used to define the load point short of the pin shear for this cut-loose action. 

Until you get into some chop like that found around Las Vegas you may not experience the unpleasant effect of the break-loose downward pitch moment.  The system provides yellow warning messages on the MFD when pitch trim is exceeded as a way to avoid sudden movement when the AP is disengaged.  

In the FD I always fly on AP with my hand lightly touching the stick...esp when in turbulence.  Most often when the bumps get rough I don't use the AP at all and hand fly thru it.

The Garmin GFC700 and it's servos by contrast have no such issue...but then of course that AP is much more expensive and c ertified.

I have never talked to the Dynon "people" about the AP in my CTLS. However Florida has all kinds of weather. If I fly to a destination, without sightseeing passengers, for more than 10 minutes, I level at cruise altitude and RPM and set the AP on. In 3 years of owning this aircraft the AP has never cycled off , irregardless of turbulence.

Cheers

Archived