CT foot rest

NC Bill

The foot rests are designed for the passenger side.  I have been looking into something to use on the pilot's side for long trips.  The slope of the floor in a CT makes your feet tend to slide down onto the rudder pedals.  In a two hour cruise flight, this doesn't leave any good place to rest your feet, except *on* the rudder pedals, which leads to the ball swinging out if your foot pressure is not completely equal.  

Since I have the passenger rest, I could just use it as a template and make a mirror copy of it with some slight modifications, and that would work.  But I'm going to see if I can rig something that is easier to build, lighter, and doesn't block off access to the floor compartment like the original design does.  I will let ya'll know what I come up with.

The foot rests are designed for the passenger side.  I have been looking into something to use on the pilot's side for long trips.  The slope of the floor in a CT makes your feet tend to slide down onto the rudder pedals.  In a two hour cruise flight, this doesn't leave any good place to rest your feet, except *on* the rudder pedals, which leads to the ball swinging out if your foot pressure is not completely equal.  

Since I have the passenger rest, I could just use it as a template and make a mirror copy of it with some slight modifications, and that would work.  But I'm going to see if I can rig something that is easier to build, lighter, and doesn't block off access to the floor compartment like the original design does.  I will let ya'll know what I come up with.

I would be interested as well

Cheers

An autopilot solves the problem.  I would be cautious putting anything on the pilot side that could interfere with getting on the rudder pedals quickly in case of turbulence.

An autopilot solves the problem. 

Is it going to massage my feet for me?  

:laughter-3293:

Otherwise it does nothing for this issue.  I have an autopilot; it does nothing to solve the issue.

I don't need to get on the rudders that quickly in turbulence.  It's mostly a pitch and roll problem (as is avoiding birds and other "do it now" maneuvers).  What I'll design will be able to be flipped out of the way in a second or less.  If I have to react faster than that to avoid disaster, I probably won't make it anyway...

When I fly with the autopilot I am able to pull my feet back from the rudder pedals and rest with them flat on the floor.

As can I when the plane is in proper trim.  However, the issue is the slope of the floor -- it tends to "pull" the feet toward the pedals, and there is nowhere to put them where they won't be in contact with the pedals or at least the pedal pivot bars, in some fashion.

This may be an issue of geometry...I don't know how tall you are, but I'm almost 6'1" and my feet have no real relaxed position to be in when off the pedals.  I end up putting my toes against the pedal pivot bar, crossing my legs, twisting my ankles around, and generally making myself uncomfortable.  

When I fly with the autopilot I am able to pull my feet back from the rudder pedals and rest with them flat on the floor.

I am 6'-2". Pulling my feet off the pedals and resting them flat on the floor means my knees are sticking way up in the air and the contact area of my butt is greatly reduced. It is very uncomfortable for me and anyone else who has been in the plane. I have a passenger footrest that folds out of the way easily. But, I don't want one for the left side. I just rest my feet on the pedals which works fine.

I'm 5'9'', and when I fly with someone at the controls in the right seat, my feet don't seem to have a place to go and they seem to feel a bit tired.

However, I'd personally stay away from anything that even temporarily blocked access to the left-side rudder pedals.  There are scenarios in which I could want immediate use of the rudder, such as a spin, as unlikely as that is.  My understanding (no personal experience, fortunately), is if a plane is in an abnormal situation, simple tasks such as reaching for something can be a challenge.

Andy

As can I when the plane is in proper trim.  However, the issue is the slope of the floor -- it tends to "pull" the feet toward the pedals, and there is nowhere to put them where they won't be in contact with the pedals or at least the pedal pivot bars, in some fashion.

This may be an issue of geometry...I don't know how tall you are, but I'm almost 6'1" and my feet have no real relaxed position to be in when off the pedals.  I end up putting my toes against the pedal pivot bar, crossing my legs, twisting my ankles around, and generally making myself uncomfortable.  

I am 6-0.  My feet can be set flat with knees folded.  User rubber soled shoes and they will stay put.   Trim?  The autopilot keeps the ball centered with aileron and rudder trim neutral.

The autopilot keeps the ball centered with aileron and rudder trim neutral.

This is not possible, the only thing that can keep the ball centered is the rudder and the autopilot is not connected to the rudder.

Add flaperon at a slow speed and adverse yaw will move the ball, rudder is required to keep it centered.

Advance the throttle and the ball goes out to the left and right rudder is required to center it.

Retard the throttle and the ball goes out to the right and left rudder is required to center it.

Much of the time when the AP has control your speed is up and adverse yaw is minimized, power adjustments are minimized as well.  For most of us the need for rudder is minimized when the AP is flying and the need for rudder is increased when hand flying.  Take-offs, steep turns in the pattern and crosswind landings are good examples of times when rudder is needed but you would be hand flying.

You might ask your self why the auto pilot controls pitch and bank only when you hand fly you control pitch bank and yaw.  The AP mostly makes gentle corrections and gentle turns at cruise speeds so the lack of yaw control means little.  If you fly a design that permits you to keep your feet flat on the floor and still do a coordinated turn then the AP could do the same.

The auto pilot cannot keep the ball centered but it might seem as though it does because the ball needs very little attention at cruise speeds.

I know a guy with a metal shop who could make the footrests if he had the plans. I know I want one for my wife.

How much would you pay for one? I wonder if the guy that was making them stopped because he was paying for the privilege of providing. I was thinking 250 to 400 bucks.

I know a guy with a metal shop who could make the footrests if he had the plans. I know I want one for my wife.

How much would you pay for one? I wonder if the guy that was making them stopped because he was paying for the privilege of providing. I was thinking 250 to 400 bucks.

My pax ride coach. The previous batch went for $180 I believe. At $150~175 for a reversible rest (either side) I'm a buyer. Otherwise?

Archived