Plane is Seeing Itself on Traffic Watch

andyb

Around February the FAA changed the way they handle traffic uplinked to ADSB aircraft. In my case with Dynon SkyView, Dynon's latest firmware SV 14.0 was supposed to address this as well as provide details on how to tweak your transponder so as to respond to the FAA's change.

Unfortunately, Dynon developed 'issues' with the 14.0 firmware and went through quite a few versions before arriving at SV 14.1 which now apparently fixes everything.

In the meantime those of us who are still using SV 13.3 will experience a loss of some ADSB traffic info and quite often get a traffic alert on our own planes. In my case I find that as I fly along changing to different towers the alert comes and goes. I have to say at first its rather disconcerting to get a traffic warning and the screen shows its right where you are at your own altitude! On the other hand other traffic IS shown on SkyView screen and ADSB OUT equipped airplanes will show up on my screen with their respective N #.

That said I quite often see ADSB No Radar or TIS traffic okay. Once Vans have reviewed the SV 14.1 firmware I'll be able to download it from their site and then tweak the transponder as per instructions with the Skyview User Manual version 14.0. Once the transponder is updated /tweaked ADSB should resume providing the proper traffic info to ADSB equipped airplanes.

Not sure what type of avionics you have but the cause is most likely the fact that you need to update your transponder to cope with the FAA's recent change.

My plane is equipped with both the ADSB in/out, and the Mode S traffic systems.  Recently, and intermittently, I'm "seeing myself" on the traffic watch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

It's normal.  Many are reporting such 'ghosts.'  The happen in planes equipped with G1000 and the GDL 88 and full Garmin ADS-B setup too.

When I've seen this in the past I think it mostly happened when changing altitude.  I think there is lag between GPS altitude and TIS or ADS-B reported altitude that causes the ghost position.  It would seem software should be able to correct this.

This is from the SkyView Installation manual  14.0.

Since the FAA changed (early February) the way it sends out ADSB many aircraft that previously had ADSB-IN/OUT stopped seeing ADSB OK on their SkyViews unless they upgraded to firmware 14 (currently 14.1) when it automatically changed the transponder setting SDA/SIL=1. 

If you don't and you're like me (SV GPS 250, SV-XPNDR-2561, SV-ADSB-470) and haven't upgraded to 14.1 its likely your Dynon has been displaying ADSB NO RADAR and you're getting traffic alerts on yourself.

Even if you have still got the SV-GPS-250 and not the new 2020 compliant GPS SV-2020-GPS this upgrade should stop the nuisance traffic alerts and bring you back up to speed for proper ADSB and traffic until becoming 2020 compliant.

I'm waiting for Vans to load SV 14.1 on their site and then I'll upgrade to it. Last step is to install the 2020 compliant SV-2020-GPS.

I don't claim to be an avionics guru but I think this is what is going on for many LSA Dynon owners. Also Not sure which version of SV has been approved for FD airplanes.

More info is available from the latest SkyView Installation manual which is downloadable from Dynon.

SkyView Systems with an SV-GPS-250 as primary GPS are changed to SDA/SIL=1 when firmware is updated to v14.0 (or later)

The following is applicable to all aircraft with a SkyView system equipped with:

•   SV-GPS-250 (but not an SV-GPS-2020)

•   No high integrity GPS position source connected to the SV-XPNDR-261/262 SV-XPNDR-261/262

In SkyView systems so equipped, with firmware earlier than v14.0, the following setting was in effect:

SETUP MENU > TRANSPONDER SETUP > GPS DATA (OK) > SKYVIEW This setting caused the SkyView system to transmit SIL/SDA=0.

After updating your SkyView system to v14.0 (or later), that setting is automatically changed (new default) as illustrated in Figure 89:

Figure 89 GPS DATA setting (for SV-GPS-250) changed as of v14.0 and later

• 2 weeks later...

My plane is equipped with both the ADSB in/out, and the Mode S traffic systems.  Recently, and intermittently, I'm "seeing myself" on the traffic watch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

I just updated my SkyView to SV 14.2.1 today and along with that uploaded the upgrade to the SV 261 XPNDR, which changed the SIL/SDA setting to SDA/SIL=1. Normal ADSB-IN/OUT has returned and traffic alerts. I've stopped getting traffic alerts on my own airplane.

I think you will continue to see traffic alerts on your own airplane until you can upgrade the firmware and transponder to meet the recent FAA change in ADSB.

BTW...one neat feature with the new firmware is a ring on the map page which shows your glide range in the event of engine failure, which adjusts for wind.

Andy,

I just updated my SkyView to SV 14.2.1 today and along with that uploaded the upgrade to the SV 261 XPNDR, which changed the SIL/SDA setting to SDA/SIL=1. Normal ADSB-IN/OUT has returned and traffic alerts. I've stopped getting traffic alerts on my own airplane.

I think you will continue to see traffic alerts on your own airplane until you can upgrade the firmware and transponder to meet the recent FAA change in ADSB.

BTW...one neat feature with the new firmware is a ring on the map page which shows your glide range in the event of engine failure.

Thanks much.  I'm presently waiting for FDUSA to send me the software so it can be loaded and get past the security gate.

Andy

Archived