DYNON 120 EMS WANTED

CT2kflyer

My CT2k just had it's FLYDAT EMS (original equipment) blank-out today.  I'm looking for a used DYNON Engine Monitoring System to replace the FLYDAT.  With all of the upgrades to SKYVIEW systems, I'm hoping someone wants to part with a used Dynon 120........ it will mate pretty well with the Dynon 100 I already have installed.

If there is an alternative to the used Dynon 120, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am one of (few) CT owners in Brazil. My aircraft is perfect except for the (old model) Flydat which shows the "Service" message instead of engine information just after starting the engine. I have tried to locate someone in Brazil to reset it but only got a response from BRP informing that this type of engine (or parts) is not sold in Brazil. Given that flying the aircraft (or sending the unit) to USA is practically impossible, I am looking for any alternative (hacking the RS-232 communications, purchasing a Flydat Control unit, etc) with no success for the moment.

I hope you have succeeded in replacing your Flydat with the Dynon but I wonder if you would be interested in selling the failed Flydat (and sending it to Brazil) as it may be useful in my quest to repair or hack my unit. Is your Flydat an old (without the reset button) or new model?

Paulo,

If you come up with a solution, please post it here. I have been flying with the SERVICE warning of years. We sent our Flydat off to Canada at one point. At significant expense they cleared the warning for us but it came right back immediately - no over temp or under pressure involved.

The problem with the warning is that it takes 30 seconds from startup before I get an oil pressure reading. That's bad. I heard once that a Rotax without any oil will seize 47 seconds after startup - something to think about during your next oil change.

Mike Koerner 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I have somehow solved the problem of the Service message showing up after starting the engine. I had already wired the Flydat to the main switch, but I still had the problem as the Flydat resets when I start the engine due to the drop in the voltage of the battery.

This has been solved by a 12 V voltage stabilizer (http://www.caraudio-systems.de/ac-pwr-st_eng.html). This device is used on cars that have a "start-stop" system to avoid the radio (or other devices) turning off due to the voltage drop during the engine starts. I have installed it to ensure that the voltage feeding the Flydat does not drop when I start the engine and it works! Now the Flydat starts when I turn on the main switch (with the Service message) but it keeps working when I start the engine.

Paulo,

Thank you for your post and message! It is wonderful that you no longer have the Flydat shutdown during engine cranking and restart afterwards. Your automotive solution is ingenious.

But just to make sure I understand... After the engine starts how long does the "Service" warning stay on? Is it still on for 30 seconds? Or can you reduce this to zero by turning the switch on, waiting the 30 seconds until the "Service " warning goes off, and then starting the engine? In that case do you still see the "Service" warning after engine startup?

Mike Koerner

Hi, Mike

You have understood correctly.

I turn the switch on and the Flydat displays the Service message while I go through my check list. When I start the engine the Flydat does not reset any more and I do not see the Service message after starting the engine. The device keeps the voltage at the Flydat at 12 V during the engine start, even if the battery voltage drops.

Please let me know if you have any question about the connections. It is very straightforward but the manual is not good. 

There is one 3-wire cable that shall be connected to the power source (two of them are wired together to the positive, the third one to ground) and a 2-wire cable to the Flydat (positive and ground).

Archived