The first fully functioning EFIS that's completely free?

IrishAl

I downloaded this free EFIS to my iPhone yesterday and it worked surprisingly well in the car using just the phone's sensors.

The company sells a full ADAHARS unit for 527 Euros ( $597  plus taxes) that works with both IOS and Android.

It's quite amazing how much technoloty you can get today for so very little!

There might be an excellent opportunity for someone to enquire about the US agency - it would surely sell like hot cakes at that price.

http://www.talosavionics.com/

It looks pretty nice.  Obviously not suitable for primary use unless you put real AHARS and pitot-static data into it, but otherwise a very nice app.  I will download the free version and play with it.  

Otherwise, just remember "caveat emptor" and "you get what you pay for".     ;)

True, but then with technology, often the newer, cheaper products are better than the older, more expensive items.

This is about half the cost of an iLevil, and you'd think there's a lot of analogue guys out there that would be tempted to buy it as a 'primary' back up!

Without the ADAHARS the attitude info is all computed based on speed and rates of heading and altitude change.  In other words its a guess that works in normal conditions.

Do you want an analog backup that you might reference if disoriented and that when you are disoriented it is most likely to be lying to you?  On a test see what it takes to get it to even display an unusual attitude.

Agreed - without air data the app by itself f is very limited, yet it's still remarkably advanced considering it is free.

But with the magic box in play, it seems that this sort of setup is coming close to the performance of proprietary equipment, but at a fraction of the cost.

Most GA equipment out there is still on analogue, so my point is that people might start buying it as a backup and end up using it as the primary source.

The only thing the magic box is missing is an output for an AutoPilot... which would have me eating my words that an iPhone, or iPad (Apple product) will never drive an AP (with Apples blessing).

Archived