Gooseneck to seat rail

Ed Cesnalis

I want to install my gooseneck mount to the fastener on the front of the seat rail.

I loosened the fastener but it only spun.  I was expecting it to go into a hard point but I guess I need to get into that space and put a wrench on a nut.  Is that right?  How do I access it?

post-6-0-61955700-1463941606_thumb.jpg

FWIW here's another solution - a RAM suction mount attached to the pilot's window. I've happily flown with it for 4 years. Just attach the mount after the door is shut and dismount before the door is opened. Viola.

post-217-0-30177500-1464094262_thumb.jpg

The mount the goose neck goes into gets screwed onto the right side of the center tunnel. Then make sure you have a good thumb screw to tighten up the support pole to the angle you want it. Tom had his this way for years. It worked out just fine.

If you are going to drill holes, I'd rather put a ram ball on the side of the mushroom like I've done.  It's the perfect position to see the whole iPad without moving your head and doesn't block access or view across the cockpit.

I want the goose neck. its the perfect distance from my face and leaves full view of panel and outside.

The side plate has small bolts into the tunnel.

If you look at my image above the open end part for the seat bolt could be removed and then there is a 4 hole plate to use that would need a backing plate on the inside.

You said something about a thumb screw and the other type of goose neck has a thumb screw instead of a seat bolt mount.  Perhaps Tom used a thumb screw type?  I bet if I fastened it thru the tunnel wall into a backing plate it would be solid.

I want the goose neck. its the perfect distance from my face and leaves full view of panel and outside.

That's fine.  Just FYI I can see my entire panel (except the very left edge where there are no instruments) and outside view is unobstructed.  It's hard to see in the pic but you are actually looking over the top of the iPad, so it doesn't block your view at all.

The each his/her own, just presenting an option.  :)

Hi Ede,

The mounting plate was held to the side of the tunnel with 4 screws and some wide flat washers on the other side to spread the load. The thumb screw was in the mounting plate so when the gooseneck rod was inserted it could be tightened and would hold the rod and mount in the direction that you wanted it. His plane isn't here anymore so I can't take a picture. 

Thanks Roger,  

I think I'll fly it over to Tracy and see How Jeremy mounts it.

Andy,

I have flown around a bit and hand held the tablet where yours is mounted and various other places.  Mounted on the goose neck allows me the zoom that works for me while still being able to read it without reading glasses.  EFBs are content rich so getting it just right is what I want. 

Andy,

I have flown around a bit and hand held the tablet where yours is mounted and various other places.  Mounted on the goose neck allows me the zoom that works for me while still being able to read it without reading glasses.  EFBs are content rich so getting it just right is what I want. 

I understand.  Mine is right at the limit of readability without reading glasses for me.  Another inch or two farther away would be ideal.

I guess the preference here will depend on how useful is your left hand.  I am a lefty, so I like my ipad on the left.  Great fit for the CT there are well.   WF

I'm a righty, but also like it on the left.  My left hand only works the stick, everything else (throttle, radio, AP, GPS) is worked with the right.  It's very easy for me to reach across to the left to work the iPad, and I rarely want to take that left hand off the stick.  

Archived