Value of a 2010 CTLS?

Scott Lee

Eddie, guess it all depends on who can qualify for compliance to the ASTM mandated speed limitation.  I say its the designer and you say the builder can use his own design with his own speed limiting strategy.  I'm dubious but lazy, feel fry to prove me wrong. 

Edit: After thinking about it, any ELSA design was a proved as ELSA prior to the building or converting process. 

Once converted to Experimental, an owner can modify the aircraft any way he or she sees fit, the only limitation being it must still meet Light Sport limitations. It no longer need be ASTM compliant beyond that. If I wanted to put a 180 hp O-360 on my Sky Arrow, I could. If that made it faster than 120k, I would have to find a way to limit that. It could be as simple as placarding it for a max continuous rpm of 2,200, let's say. Kinda like what they do with the Carbon Cub.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pitch the prop to stay within LSA limitations and make the change a limitation amendment in the airplane's POH.

I think that would do it for a horsepower increase.

That might work, but an overpitched prop can lead to high combustion chamber pressures leading to possible detonation.

Analogy: car slogging up a hill in too high a gear and "pinging".

I think an rpm limit on continuous power would generally be a better option.

Scott,

To answer your original question...  What's the 2010 CTLS worth wholesale given mitigating factor of "its pretty, but has a damage history"... (and now some uncertainty fueled by the bankruptcy)

Retail Value - $90k to $110K

Wholesale Value - $70k to $90K

I think that damage history will keep many prospective buyers away.  It will take a buyer that will overlook the history and buy because its "such a good deal".  This bird will need to be priced low to move.  Ideally, priced just under $100k and you'll find it a home.  I think a $20k spread between wholesale and retail is a good range.

My caveat - I'm not a dealer nor do I pretend to be one on tv.  Per your request on the post, (having some type of recent experience) I have bought and sold 3 CT's in 6 years. I tend to sell on the low end but planes don't sit in my hangar collecting dust for long...  When a seller, be a seller! 

Suggestion:  Call Kenny Scherado at Lone Mountain Aviation in Vegas.  (He is the FD West Dealer) and Tom Peghiny at FD USA.  Let dealers with lots of experience selling CT's (new and used) answer your question with some level of authority. 

Cecil,

If not, how would a heavier turbo help him with his gross weight concerns?

I can't IM you so I will tell you this on this thread. 

COPA is a joke and I told them to shut down my account and send the fee back to Cirrus. 

Half the goofs on the site are not Cirrus owners and are dangerously misleading new owners pointed at the site by Cirrus with information that deviates from factory practice, OPS and POH, and CSIPs training for the factory. 

As you know, I do not back down when I am right.  And if you examine the thread on Vapor Lock you will see I turned out to be right and all of them wrong as an example.  Someone just got trained at the factory and put in a comment citing 'Cecil is right I was told the boost pump will last 10,000 hours."

You don't agree with me on many issues...but that is not the same as when some engage in damaging others with their ignorance simply because of ego.   If Cirrus is going to point new owners at COPA they need to get involved in the management of the site and what gets thrown out as flying and maintenance information there.

That might work, but an overpitched prop can lead to high combustion chamber pressures leading to possible detonation.

Analogy: car slogging up a hill in too high a gear and "pinging".

I think an rpm limit on continuous power would generally be a better option.

But...what is the point of adding power to an airplane, then backing off the rpm so that that power is never available for use?  At least with a prop change you can still use the power for climb, while limiting top speed to LSA limits.

I'm not  saying it can't happen (because I just don't know), but I've never heard of a prop pitch change causing engine detonation.  Certainly not in the few degrees of pitch change we'd be talking about here.

Archived