GTR-225 vs SL-40

NC Bill

From an installation standpoint can I just remove an SL-40 and slide in a GTX-225?

What capability does the 40 have that the 225 is missing?

TIA,

Do you mean a GTR-225?  The Old SL-40 and the 'newer' GTR-225 have the same tray size and form factor.  The GTR-225 is a super-set of the older radio.  Has more goodies.

According to the Aircraft Spruce listing this is not a slide in replacement. I believe you would have to replace the tray and possibly rewire it. If you check the installation manual for each radio it should give you better information. Depends on your comfort level if you do this yourself or have a shop do it. I am sure you would also need paperwork from Flight Design. If you do replace this, please post about how the installation was done to help the rest of us should anyone else need to do this in the future.

As an easier option, contact someone like Wentworth (1 800-493-6896) and see what they want for a used unit. Their website does show they have one.

Looks like the Icom IC-210 has been replaced with the IC-220:

Easy Installation
The IC-A220 has a D-Sub 25-pin industry standard connector for easy installation. The slim case can be installed into a tight panel space. If your current radio has a card edge connector and you plan on installing your new A220 into the same housing, use the MBA-3 rear panel adapter for installation.  The Icom IC-A220 neatly fits inside the common mounting brackets used on most airplanes including Icom's IC-A200 / IC-A210. The IC-A220 can be interchanged with most panel mount radios including Icom's IC-A200, Honeywell Bendix/King KY96A/KY97A and Garmin's SL40.

According to the Aircraft Spruce listing this is not a slide in replacement. I believe you would have to replace the tray and possibly rewire it. If you check the installation manual for each radio it should give you better information. Depends on your comfort level if you do this yourself or have a shop do it. I am sure you would also need paperwork from Flight Design. If you do replace this, please post about how the installation was done to help the rest of us should anyone else need to do this in the future.

As an easier option, contact someone like Wentworth (1 800-493-6896) and see what they want for a used unit. Their website does show they have one.

According to Garmin it is a no change replacement.  They designed the new radio to have the same height/width and form factor as the SL-40.

The only downside to the repair is you are paying half the cost of a new radio for the simplicity of plug and play with a repaired old radio.  The SL40 has a small display.  The new Icom or the new version of the Garmin has a much larger display that I personally find to be better in flight.  The Icom ICA220 is a direct slide in (I know I replaced an SL40 with one in my last CT) provided you order the right model that has a back plate designed specifically for this purpose of replacing an SL40. 

Well $550 isn't really half the cost. More like 1/3 of a new SL-40 (if you can find one). 1/2 of a used one - which I did find, and it had an APOLLO face plate (before Garmin bought them).

I liked the IC-A220 also. BUT the local DISTRIBUTOR (Gulf Coast Avionics) said ICOM doesn't provide a harness. I swear the ICOM distributor said it - honest. The harness must be made to order. Gulf Coast charges $250 for that plus $1250 for the unit and, oh yes, they'd have to order a tray. If I knew you could buy a new A220 for $1000 plug and play, cash on the counter, walk out the door, I'd have said hello to my new transceiver! But alas, non.

That made the GTR-225 a more immediate option at $1750. But wait, that needs its own tray and harness also. And no local dealer has all 3 pieces in stock.

When I called Garmin and found I can repair my SL-40 for $550, a $1,000 less than either option, I said self (that's me) what a deal.

Archived