SL-40 Problem

NC Bill

Unit just returned from Garmin for new board and bench checked twice by Sarasota Avionics - OK.

Unit receives all channels.

Unit transmits to a very few channels like ground without problems, such as ground and 123.45

BUT on many channels transmit results in loud static on the headsets. Destination reports they hear static too.

Any ideas?

DME antennas are known to be sensitive to dirt. Thats why i am suggesting cleaning your antenna too.

One last suggestion: remove the antenna connection and test the radio for changes. A bad antenna or bad antenna groundplane can cause weird issues too.

Anyways, radios are almost voodoo. It's all about resonance. If something is amiss in the circuit, it can manifest as problems on some frequencies and not on others.

If it mounts in a tray, make sure it is ALL the way back, seated well, so the electrical connections are solid.  Mine had problems caused by the front plate keeping the unit from going back the extra 16th of an inch.

What type of headset?  I had a Halo in-ear style headset, and the SL-40 would squeal whenever I keyed the mic.  I called them and they said it was a known issue with their headset, and they refunded the cost.  

Try a different headset before chasing your tail on the radio side.

What type of headset?  I had a Halo in-ear style headset, and the SL-40 would squeal whenever I keyed the mic.  I called them and they said it was a known issue with their headset, and they refunded the cost.  

Try a different headset before chasing your tail on the radio side.

Andy, see the post above yours. I think he figured out the problem.

Archived