Flat tire issues

corvette33

I have a 2007 CTSW, with Matco wheels and brakes. Over the last year or two I have had several flat tires. Twice on the nose wheel and a total of three on the mains. (my landings are not that bad !!) . The aircraft has been serviced by two FBO's ,one a LSA dealer and service center and one a long time established service department. In all cases it has been a tube failure. Usually a small hole. Inspection of the wheels show no issues. I am starting to question the quality of the tubes. Has anyone had a similar issue and has found a tube which seems to stand up better than another? So far we have been lucky and none the flat tires have occurred during landing .We started to run a little higher air pressure (30 psi) but will still had a failure. Any thoughts or suggestions??? 

I can only address one part of that with "common wisdom".

Many experienced mechanics seem to be of the opinion that the Aero Classic Leak Guard tubes are the most durable, though some swear by the Michelin Airstop tubes.

I'll yield to the mechanics here that deal with a ton of flat tires for more insight into what your specific problem may be.

I have a 2007 CTSW, with Matco wheels and brakes. Over the last year or two I have had several flat tires. Twice on the nose wheel and a total of three on the mains. (my landings are not that bad !!) . The aircraft has been serviced by two FBO's ,one a LSA dealer and service center and one a long time established service department. In all cases it has been a tube failure. Usually a small hole. Inspection of the wheels show no issues. I am starting to question the quality of the tubes. Has anyone had a similar issue and has found a tube which seems to stand up better than another? So far we have been lucky and none the flat tires have occurred during landing .We started to run a little higher air pressure (30 psi) but will still had a failure. Any thoughts or suggestions??? 

I had terrible problems about 6 months ago.  One flat on taxi, one in the hangar, and one on landing.  The hangar flat was due to bad install on replacement of tube that went out on taxi.  All three had pinholes.  On advice of the CT A&P I use (at a remote airport, so he didn't replace the tires) I used heavy-duty tubes, and no problems since.

Andy

My guess your tubes are coming from Desser, if not directly though some other supply house. They offer 2 different tubes. One is very light, and more likely to have the issues you describe. The other is a much heavier tube. While you can still have issues it is less likely. An added benefit is that when assembling the Matco wheels you will be less likely to pinch the tube. Beyond that make sure your tires are inflated, and check the pressure often. One other thing it is not necessarily bad landings, but landing crooked that will cause issues, and I think everyone who has flown a CT has landed crooked at on time or an other. Some just do it more than others.

First is always try and use a heavy duty tube. If you have a 4.00x4 tire on the front of a CT there are no heavy duty tubes. Most all other tires have them.

Next: if you have the Marc Engegno front wheel which all CT's had prior to Jan. 2009 then you need to keep your front tire above 30 psi. I always use 35 psi. If you fail to do this and the front tire pressure drops into the 20's then as you taxi the tire will start to rotate on the wheel pulling the stem sideways. This causes a leak and at least 10 times I have seen it pull the entire stem right out of the tube. If you use 35 psi for the front tire you have some leeway, but if you only use 29-30 psi then you have none and need to check pressure all the time. Keeping the pressure up in the front also gives a more positive steering with because of no sidewall flex. For CT owners that have the small 4.00x6 tires for mains use the heavy duty tube and 35 psi. The mains aren't as prone to turning on the wheel because there is no sideways scrubbing action going on during taxi. 35 psi keeps the tire sidewalks from flexing during some side load landings and prevents that squirrly side to side over correction, but it also keeps the wheels from breaking with a split. I have seen this several times too. For the CT's with the larger 4.00x6 front tire I still use 35 psi for added safety. Use heavy duty tubes for all 4.00x6 tires. The larger tundra or 6.00x6 tires should use heavy duty tubes. These tires have a load rating ov over 1700 lbs each unlike the small 4.00x6 tires of around 800 lbs. In the 6.00x6 tire you can afford to run lower pressure because of its higher load rating. Usually around 27 psi is a good place. Too much pressure in these larger tires makes for a stiff ride. These tires tend to run better over pot holes, cracks and bumps and grass fields better too.

In CT's after Jan. 2009 they have all Matco wheels all around. These wheels are less likely to allow the tire to spin if a tire gets a tad low on pressure. Allowing pressure to get too low will cost you on any wheel.

Bottom line is to keep you tire pressure up and especially the front one.

p.s.

Never use a liquid tire sealer in the tubes. The imbalance is tremendous. I know I tried it once about 12 years ago. Felt like the plane was going to change me apart right at lift off.

p.s.s.

If you have a Marc front tire these can be replaced with Matco which has more rubber bead surface contact than the Marc's and less likely to allow the tire to spin on the wheel.

When you have a flat tire, you should put the tube under water and make note of where the leak is. Then, check that area for something sharp in the tire.

If it keeps happening in the same spot, you might have FOD in the tire that is only poking through under pressure. Replace the tire.

Breaks near the stem means the tube is being turned, use more pressure.

If you're buying $7 wheelbarrow tubes at Ace Hardware, you're going to have problems.  $45 Airstops or Leakguards, not so much.  I had two or three flats before I got the message.  None since.  I do my own tire changes, using lots of care and tire chalk and haven't had a problem since.

And the $7 tubes will get you home if you're stuck somewhere without support.

• 1 year later...

Most of the guys where I live run 25-27 in the 6.00-6 mains and 30-35 in he 4.00- 6 front. Too much pressure in the mains is a rough ride.   The slightly lighter pressure rides nice over bump , crevices and ruts. Plus you get a tad more cushion on landing.The 6.00-6 can hold up to 1760 lbs each tire so it isn't like the 4.00--6 down at 860 lbs. If you take the wings off a CT and let all the air out of the 6.00-6 mains they will still look inflated. The 4.00-6 tire mains need more pressure.

Archived