PBOR Final

gbigs

• 2 weeks later...

Obama has 10 days to sign the FAA authorization that includes the reform.

Many believe this will kill the SLSA niche.  The logic being that many if not most who own and fly SLSA are pilots who lost their 3rd class medical and will return to the certified world.    And bring new market demand and higher prices to the Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft/Cirrus markets.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/now-that-medical-reform-has-passed-what-effect-will-this-have-on-the-price-of-aircraft.96777/

I'm of the belief it will barely touch LSA. The reason is many in the LSA have PPL and the there are the LSA only pilots. Most GA aircraft sit on the ground now days because of cost and economy plus many in the LSA don't want 40-50 year old planes and their technology, not to mention most LSA like the CT has better performance.

It's not just about a medical. It will be for some, but not the majority.

The light sport market ,would have a better chance of survival ,if you could fly them light IFR.

Go E-LSA and you can!

See #11:

8421801462_5591a73265_c.jpg

I think that language is standard boilerplate for E-LSA and not particular to my Sky Arrow.

Go E-LSA and you can!

I think that language is standard boilerplate for E-LSA and not particular to my Sky Arrow.

You cannot fly IFR as a Sport Pilot.  You cannot fly above 14k feet MSL in VFR or IFR or fly faster than 250ktas under PBOR rules.

He was referring to the airplane not the pilot.

Of course.

I never stopped being an instrument rated Commercial pilot.

But without a Medical, I could and can only operate under Sport Pilot limitations.

With the new PBOR, going forward once the PBOR becomes law, I could then exercise Private Pilot privileges across the board in any plane meeting the standards, including Light Sports, of course.

So, I'd be able to operate my Sky Arrow at night, above 10,000', and without visual reference to the surface, all without a Medical.

I think I could also technically operate it IFR, but not 100% sure since my only attitude info comes from the Dynon and my only Nav capability is my 496. Not sure that, even Experimental, it's kosher to use a handheld as a primary source of navigation.

Archived