What the Rotax "Soft Start" sounds like

Anticept

Just finished the first installation on a CTLS. I have one other that is getting it too.

These engines were installed after the old ones hit TBO, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I found out that both of those engines shipped with the new modules and flywheels but the wiring for the modules was never installed. I was NOT the one that hung these engines.

Here's a short demo!

My Sky Arrow is about like Corey's example - the roughness is rather subtle for 3-5 seconds. Original flywheel, circa 2007.

I don't think "trying to shake itself apart" is normal, and should probably be investigated.

BTW, thanks for the video, Corey!

It will shake a bit until it switches timing. It sounds terrible but that's expected, especially if the RPM is really low (this one goes down to ~1100 at idle while starting with retarded timing). I'm curious where your threshold of "too much" is at. Can you do a recording?

When you start your engine it should be up around 2000-2300 rpm. If it is below and in the soft start mode it will shake. You shouldn't idle a cold engine under 2000 to warm it up or even start it. The soft start is much easier on the engine, starter and gearbox when used properly. It fires after TDC rather than before TDC like to older modules. It allows for an easier start and keeps the engine from trying to fire in the upward compression stroke of the piston..

Archived