Headset and Radio Transmission Noise

Bill Applegate

I have been experiencing a constant whirling or chirping sound in my headset and it is also apparent when I transmit. This issue has been present since I first acquired the aircraft back in January. My CTSW is a 2006 model. All of these sounds go away when I pull the generator circuit breaker, then the headset audio and transmissions are crystal clear. I have purchased a filter that is supposed to eliminate this problem but, have not installed it as yet. I will let you all know what the results are when I have. In the meantime, has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how did you correct for it? Thanks, Bill in Tucson, AZ.

I have been experiencing a constant whirling or chirping sound in my headset and it is also apparent when I transmit. This issue has been present since I first acquired the aircraft back in January. My CTSW is a 2006 model. All of these sounds go away when I pull the generator circuit breaker, then the headset audio and transmissions are crystal clear. I have purchased a filter that is supposed to eliminate this problem but, have not installed it as yet. I will let you all know what the results are when I have. In the meantime, has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how did you correct for it? Thanks, Bill in Tucson, AZ.

I have a similar situation in my 2008 LS. It stops when the intercom is selected off (even with generator still on). It is most noticeable at idle and taxi rpm. I don't notice it at higher rpms.

PRW

Same issue with my 2007 CTSW. Intermittent...comes and goes. When present it is a low whirring sound that varies with engine RPM. Have checked ground and all appears good. Most noticeable at idle. Switch off intercom and it goes away also. Does not interfere with comms but is a little distracting. Lightspeed 33g headsets but tested with non-noise canceling David Clarks and still there, so is not a headset issue.

Same issue with my 2007 CTSW. Intermittent...comes and goes. When present it is a low whirring sound that varies with engine RPM. Have checked ground and all appears good. Most noticeable at idle. Switch off intercom and it goes away also. Does not interfere with comms but is a little distracting. Lightspeed 33g headsets but tested with non-noise canceling David Clarks and still there, so is not a headset issue.

Check the RF settings on the radio. I had similar, not identical problems as did a Technam on our field. The problem was RF interference and a less sensitive radio setting cured it. (Sorry, I can't recall exactly which one or how we set them.) WF

Hi Guys,

We found the problem. The avionics guy that put the Garmin 696 in the panel hooked up the power wire to the comm circuit breaker. The Garmin is tied into the T-Cast and AP which both generate background noise which is transmitted back through the GPS power wire. Relocating this to another circuit breaker makes the problem go away. I like simple fixes.

Archived