Two Charlie Tango - ten mile final - niner - Mammoth Yosemite

Ed Cesnalis

I say this in humor, well kind of, anyway. I always thought "Final" was part of an instrument approach or a segment of the traffic pattern. I doubt you were flying an instrument approach, and I don't recall seeing anything about traffic patterns being different in California from the rest of the USA. So, what is this "ten mile final" you speak of?

At one point years ago it got so bad here that some of the young guys were making "on final" calls so far out you couldn't even hear them on Unicom.

BTW, the pictures of late are great.

Obviously niner doesn't get long finals but 27 does. Its far easier for me to keep track of where traffic is when they fly long strait ins then when they call 'right downwind for 27 at 14,000' or the ever more popular reference to a gps intersection ...

At Mammoth better they fly strait in then into a mountain.  

Obviously niner doesn't get long finals but 27 does. Its far easier for me to keep track of where traffic is when they fly long strait ins then when they call 'right downwind for 27 at 14,000' or the ever more popular reference to a gps intersection ...

At Mammoth better they fly strait in then into a mountain.  

Here in the flat land I teach my students to enter the pattern as indicated in the AIM. I am sure that your surroundings require special procedures. My comment wasn't about flying a straight in approach. It was about not truly being on final until you are in the traffic pattern, or on that segment of an instrument approach. Even in your part of the country I would not consider myself in the pattern when I am ten miles out, there for no ten mile final.

Here in the flat land I teach my students to enter the pattern as indicated in the AIM. I am sure that your surroundings require special procedures. My comment wasn't about flying a straight in approach. It was about not truly being on final until you are in the traffic pattern, or on that segment of an instrument approach. Even in your part of the country I would not consider myself in the pattern when I am ten miles out, there for no ten mile final.

I hear you Tom, I was repeating what I hear for the purpose of 'naming' a photo, not trying to be a good example.

I waited till 'five mile final' to make my call this morning  B)

Archived