25th Nall Report on GA Safety

Adam

AOPA just sent me the 25th Nall Report on GA Safety.  Thought I'd share for those interested in accident statistics and trends.

Date: August 11, 2016 at 1:57:14 PM PDT
Subject: Hat in the Ring Society Release: 25th Joseph T. Nall Report

The AOPA Foundation is pleased to provide you with the 25thJoseph T. Nall Report released hours ago. This is a detailed look at general aviation (GA) accidents involving helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft weighing less than 12,500 pounds.  The objective of publishing this is to help pilots, flight instructors and the industry understand the problems and address them appropriately.

The rate of non-commercial fixed-wing accidents fell 12 percent in 2013, including an 18 percent decrease in the rate of fatal accidents.  These are by far the most dramatic improvements in the 25-year history of the Nall Report and mark the first time that sector’s fatal accident rate has dropped below the threshold of one per 100,000 flight hours.

The report is available as a free download at https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/air-safety-institute/accident-analysis/joseph-t-nall-report

Support from individual pilot donors and our corporate sponsors made this project possible and their support is gratefully acknowledged.  We are most appreciative of the close working relationship with the FAA and NTSB to gather these statistics.

GA pilots are currently using ASI safety products in record numbers with 30,000 online course completions and thousands of safety quiz completions every month.  The future GA safety record depends on well-informed pilots so please visit the safety section of the Foundation’s website at www.airsafetyinstitute.org to see the latest online courses and publications.

Your comments and suggestions are always appreciated to help us improve next year’s report. We look forward to receiving them.

Thank you for being a Hat in the Ring Society member!

Best,

Justin W. Biassou

Donor Relations Manager: Hat in the Ring Society & President’s Council, AOPA Foundation

p: 301.695.2268

a: 421 Aviation Way, Frederick, MD 21701

www.aopafoundation.org

25thNallReport.pdf

Thank you for posting this. Encouraging news for 2013, headed in the right direction at least.  Dropped below 1 per 100,000 hours for the first time in the history of the report.

Of course one wonders if the aging pilot population is getting more conservative with their flying, or if technological advancements are helping, or is it something else?

And what do preliminary 2014 an 2015 numbers look like?

This report has always lagged real time by a couple years.  This one covering 2013 was just published yesterday.  I know it kinda "feels old" in todays world of instant everything!  The delay is a combination of NTSB taking a year (or more} to finalize most reports and then several months for the team at AOPA to do the analysis.  At the time the data was frozen, 97% of 2013 NTSB accident reports were final.  I'll have to ask how 2014 is shaping up, I'm guessing (but don't know for sure) that after cranking out 2013 they have only just begun to start looking at 2014 data! 

I found this on Kathryn's Report concerning 2014:

For the first time since the AOPA began compiling safety data 25 years ago, its calculation of the fatal crash rate fell in 2013 to less than one accident per 100,000 flight hours. The rate rose slightly in 2014 to 1.15, which was still lower than the average for preceding years.

Archived