Lubricating

Roger Lee

Hi Dick,

I have not. I'll look into it. Thicker may be better in several areas. Thinner sometimes penetrates better. I'll have to get a can.

If the plastic bearing self lube by slow disintegration into a powder then they will need to be replaced. Lubing them will keep that from happening and then trying to find more.

After 10 years and over a hundred CT's of good results and zero issues I'll stick with lubricating with Inox. Hard to argue against proven solid results.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roger.  Being up close and personal with the white ball that's in these bearings, it appears to have a dull surface and if I rub my finger over it, it seems to be slightly rough.  As Corey mentions, it does look like it could be a "sacrificial" material that gradually degrades in order to provide self lubrication.  Perhaps lubricants which provides similar function might prevent this "sluffing off" of the bearing and might slow down, or even prevent, the wear?  I note there are many lubricants that contain PTFE (teflon) and are "dry" lubricants.  I have no idea what the make up of lanolin looks like or how it works or if it is considered a "dry" lubricant but it has been used for many years, maybe thousands of years, to waterproof and lubricate.  And, your anecdotal experience with MX3 supports it's use for this application.  I'll continue to use MX3 but I'm wondering if the "dry" lubricants with PTFE which do not contain petroleum in their makeup might be best for this application?  I don't want to beat this to death but these bearings are a PITA to replace without contaminating with the loctite and if we can make them last longer, it will benefit us.

Archived