Fuel filler ring

Al Downs

I had one leaking, but not loose. I called Flight Design USA to get some Epiflex, only to find that they didn't have any. He suggested some marine epoxy putty. I found some Permatex fuel tank putty that is resistant to ethanol fuels that I used. I don't know if it would work for re-gluing the whole ring or not. I would call and ask them their opinion.

This seems to be a recurring issue.  I would like to understand how this is being repaired by those who are affected.  The CTSW has 4 screws which secure the filler ring. For this application, my personal experience indicates there needs to be a gasket and sealer applied and the screws then secure the ring and compress the ring onto the gasket. The material used in the past to fill the gap around the filler ring has been Epoflex but I am not sure if there is any sealer applied to the gasket during factory assembly. It appears that Epoflex is no longer available from FD USA?  Regarding the CTLS, my information indicates there are not any screws securing the fuel filler ring into the wing.  Here, it appears that Epoflex is relied on to secure the ring into the wing.  I have heard stories about ramp attendants letting the fuel nozzle pry against the filler on CTLS's during fueling and in some instances this "pops" the filler out of the wing.

Archived