Amazing - If It Really Works

Runtoeat

I haven't personally tried this but will try it next time I have a rusted nut I can't remove without twisting off the bolt.  Anyone know about this or tried it?  If this works, I've wasted a lot of time and twisted off a lot of bolts over the years trying to remove rusted nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdFsfSAuyc

A torch alone will allow rotation of rusted fasteners, when heat can be applied without damaging surrounding materials.  In fact, getting the fastener hot enough to be effective will likely vaporize any hydrocarbon (wax, oil, AFT, etc) used as a lubricant.  

I've used and have seen others use heat (propane and better yet, the good old "smoke wrench" acetylene) to loosen rusted parts.  This is effective.  Still, if the heat + wax trick works, it will be interesting.  I don't do much wrenching on old stuff anymore - sold my '40 Ford and I.H. Cub tractor - but will try this out next time the opportunity arises.

OK, found another video - the saga continues!  This might be bigger than those yahoos on TV  that chase Big Foot!  Ha, ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqMXXGgFQg

A torch alone will allow rotation of rusted fasteners, when heat can be applied without damaging surrounding materials.  In fact, getting the fastener hot enough to be effective will likely vaporize any hydrocarbon (wax, oil, AFT, etc) used as a lubricant.  

Not supposed to set it on fire though :-). But, run to eat's post seems to suggest that doesn't matter much.

The idea of using a torch is it doesn't take as long to bring up to wax melting temperature, and I bet it's a lot safer than sitting there with a lighter for several minutes! Anyways, I don't think it's supposed to be applied to just the lug. I think, rather, it's supposed to go on the outer threads to try and expand it.

By the way runtoeat: there's several types of candle wax. One might work whereas another might not. I have no idea which would be best for this though :-).

EDIT: Just thought. Is it possible the candle wax strips the oxygen from the metal oxides at elevated temps?

Oxygen stripping. No. Turning Fe2O3 into Fe takes lots of energy. It is the exact reverse of oxidation which we mostly see as combustion. Oxidation releases energy. Going back requires energy. An example is in our engines. Turning carbon, C and hydrogen, H into Co2 and H2O releases lots of energy but it can't be reversed with candle wax.

I call the idea of a lighter and wax busted.

Oxygen stripping. No. Turning Fe2O3 into Fe takes lots of energy. It is the exact reverse of oxidation which we mostly see as combustion. Oxidation releases energy. Going back requires energy. An example is in our engines. Turning carbon, C and hydrogen, H into Co2 and H2O releases lots of energy but it can't be reversed with candle wax.

I call the idea of a lighter and wax busted.

Right, but we're also adding a hot flame. Enough heat and you can blast the oxidation right off a rusty bolt (need a LOT ofc, like a direct MAPP flame!). That's why I'm curious if the addition of candle wax might change the characteristics.

Corey mentions there's different waxes.  Modern candles are probably paraffin but older candles are made with tallow. The candles used in these videos are probably modern candles so my assumption is the wax used is paraffin.  Reading about paraffin, it comes from petroleum and is a highly refined material which has had the oil removed thru refining and ends up being a crystalline, non-reactive material with carbon chains enhanced by mixing additives, such as stearic acid.  Because of it's non-reactive and small crystalline structure, paraffin does not combine with but penetrates extremely well into materials (and maybe rusted surfaces?).  It has a high boiling point which makes certain formulations highly heat resistant.   FWIW, my personal assessment is to say "I'm from Missouri"

Archived