Nose gear Problem

rhanson

RH.  Weighing down the tail or supporting the front - both methods work.  I made a wood support which catches the fuselage at the firewall.  Please let me know what you find regarding your shimmy.  I have worked on this and fixed my CTSW and am curious as to what is causing your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

$3.00 for 50 lb. sand bag from ACE solved the

"raise the Nose problem".

And now the Nose issue is solved.  

Pin and spacers were replaced in the nose wheel strut;

steering should be good for a few more years.

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.

RH

135CT

Was going to say exactly the same as Corey and Roger but they beat me to it.  My Italian rim was bent.  A new Matco rim fixed the problem.  A secondary problem was my tire was flat spotted.  Replaced the tire when I put on my new Matco.  It is not uncommon to see front tires flat spotted.  This is caused by a cross wind draging the front tire across the runway if one lands with the front first before the mains. 

Just call Matco and tell them you want a front wheel for the he Flight Design CT and ask for the 2 spacers. You can keep the same axle or buy a new one. The axle is up to you. About $100 for a new front wheel, but it is so much more beefier than the Marc and not near as likely to spin the tire and rip the tube stem out as the Marc.

Main wheels need to come with the Matco brake replacement.

Replace it with a matco

Edit: i still have my nosewheel when I changed these out. Maybe you want it?

Appreciate the offer - i will be sending the new rim all the way to the Philippines so i will go ahead and order the Matco - Thanks again though. 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to this form and a recent owner of a CTLS.

I have problem with lots of vibration on the nose gear.

The tire is new, balanced the wheel but nothing has changed.

The only thing I can see is that there aren't any washers on top. According the manual there should be 3.

Where can I buy them and would that be the cause of pretty heavy vibration at 40kn?

Thanks

If the tire is balanced then your problem is either the suspension guide pin or the slot it rides in is worn and this allows side to side tire movement. The other thing that could be adding to this is the red polyurethane spacers in the suspension are worn out. These are consumable products.

Lift the front tire off the ground and see if the tire move left and right more than 1/4". When you lift it up and down about an inch and set it down it should be firm and have no free play up and down.

Side to side movement is the pin and up and down is the spacers. You could have both as an issue. Both of these as you see are easy to check.

p.s.

Ed,

40 knots on the ground isn't too fast for these front ends. Most are over that at takeoff and most are over that at touchdown.

40 knots on the ground isn't too fast for these front ends. Most are over that at takeoff and most are over that at touchdown.

Its a better idea to take off from and land on the mains only.  Crosswind takeoffs in the CT are an exception.  I maintain that above 40knots your nose wheel shouldn't be in contact. Even if the front end can take it.

Archived