Jerry

Landing light

I went to my CT parts Wearhouse (back bedroom book case, upper shelf, ha ha) and dug out the 2 landing lights that I have:

1). Soraa 00957. This is a single LED MR16 bulb rated 9W actual, 3000k color, 25 degree light cone, the box does not state lumens (odd).

2). GreenCreative 57978. This is a 5 LED MR16 bulb rated 8.5W actual, 3000k color, 15 degree light cone, 580 lumens.

I think I must have a Soraa installed in my CT right now because I definitely have the single LED bulb.  If I ever do burn it out, I think I will make a little mount in my garage, open up the garage door at night and see which one puts out the best light (maybe even take it out in the street, ha ha). 

Attaching pic of the 2 boxes I have and of my mount which was installed by my mechanic when I bought the CT (a guy back at the Riverside Airport in Tulsa). Nothing is bonded with silicon. There are 4 threaded studs installed in metal receptacles that were molded into the lower cowling by his fiberglass guy.  I had to install longer studs and get longer springs so that I could adjust the aiming of the light. 

At night I turn on everything and I do not have any problem with generator light coming on. I have 2 interior LED lights, but I only use one of them (both are very low draw LED lights). I also have a lighted vertical card compass now, and an AvMap EFIS. I replace the Garmin GPS with a small tablet (I found a short USB cord and just plugged it into the 12V outlet via a 2 port USB adapter. I normally have all of these on for night flying, with no power problem. 

I did a little searching on Amazon and by chance found out that I got my Soraa bulbs from them, ha ha. But, their source was 1000Bulbs! I think I got a better price thru Amazon (and free shipping). 

2 LED landing lights.jpg

Landing light mount.jpg

Thanks Tom, makes sense looking at the replacement LED. If anyone needs a spare lens let me know, I'll never likely go back to halogen at this point. Thanks again for the help guys! 🙂

On 7/8/2019 at 12:09 AM, ibjet said:

This looks like the best deal on Amazon if you want to use them: They don't actually sell it by the part number that I noted earlier. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPONL76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does claim 590 lumins. 

can you legally just put new non factory bulbs in?

15 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

can you legally just put new non factory bulbs in?

Not all parts have to come from the factory. If they have a part number other than Flight Design's, or a specification you can source from anywhere. Changing from the halogen bulb to LED requires an approval, once you have changed you can replace the bulb with one of the same model from any source.

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Not all parts have to come from the factory. If they have a part number other than Flight Design's, or a specification you can source from anywhere. Changing from the halogen bulb to LED requires an approval, once you have changed you can replace the bulb with one of the same model from any source.

Tom, how do I go about getting the approval to switch from Halogen to LED?

I wanted to clarify a bit possibly: the 00957 number is an NAED number (National Association of Electrical Distributors). The number that Amazon stocks it under, SM16-09-25D-830-03, is more of a spec number. If you order the one from Amazon, it will have the 00957 number on the box also (and I"m pretty sure it's on the bulb, mine is in my airplane). 

But, hey, I've got good news, ha ha: I just did a search and typed in "NAED 00957" and got a hit on eBay for less cost! Let me give you that link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-SORAA-Brilliant-00957-MR16-9W-3000k-25-SM16-09-25D-830-03-Lamp-Light-Bulb-/331637894091

I still have to go thru what you will go thru with Flight Design, I do not have my landing light documented yet. I have several things I did to enable night flying, and I will attempt to lump them all together. Just putting off doing the "paperwork', gotta get with it!

I have had pretty good luck dealing with Arian Foldan at Flight Design. I will provide a full documentation package to him along with my MRA. But, for your documentation, it sounds like you would just contact Arian and ask him to issue the standard MRA regarding the LED us to you (and there will be a fee I have been told). By the way Arian's email is:  Arian Foldan <topservice@flightdesignusa.com>

PS: That deal was so good that I bought one to have a spare, ha ha. They got me when they said I had earned a $5 discount!!! It's just eBay wanting me to do more business with them!

ET