Sign in to follow this  
Ed Cesnalis

Sierra Peak Images

In the spring I will publish a guide to the Sierra Nevada Peaks in the form of a 'coffee table book'

I'm following the Sierra Club's SPS and grouping by 'Emblem Peaks', 'Mountaineers Peaks', and other peaks and views by geographical area.

Emblem Peak Examples:

14612448_1185579371480926_93648422717102

14570633_1180558245316372_27141592935707

14053877_1142522372453293_26305141961223

14633330_1187883557917174_44614770782074

Mike K.,  I threw in an extra Humphreys to make sure your route is covered.

Wow.

The Mount Humphrey's photo shows my route beautifully - between the shadow and the light. As an aside, the little nipple left of the summit block is called Married Man's. The logic of that name comes from the assumption that married men are more likely to to bag the false summit and call it a day, rather than face the relatively steep summit block, which, with a 5.4 rating, is really the crux of the climb (my ascents were before I was married).

I see a nice shot of Split Mountain too (in that case the easiest route is along the west side of the north ridge, slightly out of the picture), and Middle Palisade and Norman Clyde, and Tom... But many of the others I don't recognize. I hope in your book you name peaks or prominent features, or at least give the area. Remember the views are a lot different then than people are used to. One looks like it might be the back side of something I've been up, but I'm not sure.

I'm not familiar with the Sierra Club SPS (Sierra Peaks Section?).

Mike Koerner

Mike,

In order the peaks above are:

Emblem Peaks:

1. Humphreys
  2. Matterhorn
  3. Split (South Palisade)
  4. Humphreys

Mountaineers Peaks:

1. Clyde Minaret
  2. Cathedral Peak
  3. Tower Peak
  4. Bear Creek Spire

Geographic:

1. Mt Tom
  2. Mt Sill
  3. Mt Conness
  4. The Incredible Hulk (Slide Canyon out of Bridgeport)

Scenics

1. Gem Lake - above town of June Lake
  2. Twin Lakes - Bridgeport
  3. McGee Canyon- with Agee, Baldwin, Red Slate, White Fang, Morrison, Laurel and Bloody.
  4. Humphreys Basin above French Valley

http://sierrapeaks.org/

http://www.summitpost.org/sierra-peaks-section-sps/404706

... the little nipple left of the summit block is called Married Man's. The logic of that name comes from the assumption that married men are more likely to to bag the false summit and call it a day, rather than face the relatively steep summit block, which, with a 5.4 rating, is really the crux of the climb (my ascents were before I was married).

I have a magnificent print of that (no summit block). Its a wonderful study of the granite.

I have a magnificent print of that (no summit block). Its a wonderful study of the granite.

Thank's Mike,  I did not know this.  My favorite print now has a new name 'Married Man's' :)

Its one of my favorite images and its printed on metalic paper and adhered to acrylic.  When I realized it was missing the summit block I was dissappointed, now it has a target audience, not a big one but for a guy that stopped there I have the image/print. :)

Okay, found the image.  Tell me Mike if this is in fact Married Man's

14711267_1193486110690252_49817563027175

Married Man's point...where a couple members of an early climbing party decided to go no further...Norman Clyde said, "you won.t find any candy wrappers or cigarette bitts on this mountain"...

Ed,

I don't know if that's Married Man's or not. The last time I was there was over 30 years ago and this is not a view I would have seen. I remember a summit plateau with a small walk-up rise on the left and an imposing summit block on the right.

If it is Married Man's, it must be from the west looking east.

Mike Koerner

Mike,

I'm pretty sure it is Married Men's.  The view is misleading. That's the morning sun lighting the east faces. The lower left is visible from the south east and the upper right is visible from the north east.  The view is crossing the east ridge that separates the 2 basins.  I was low enough and busy enough flying to be fooled by the false summit much as climbers are.

Ok. I got it. You're looking toward the north. The ridge I went up, the one between light and shadow in the first photo, extends to the right in this view. It probably is Married Man's then.

Mike

My family has a love for the mountains, I would really like to fly your area along with southern Utah.

Who would ever thought that I cold look at mount pics, setting in a deer blind.

Great pics!