Airport Photos

Ed Cesnalis

Lee Vining, CA is more noteworthy because it sits on the shore of Mono Lake, is near the old west ghost town of Bodie (and was founded as a mining camp by Leroy Vining in 1852 a couple of years after the CA gold rush started).   And it's at 7,000 feet.   CT prolly flys there a lot because it's near Mammoth too, where he lives. 

I had the chance to visit Bodie a few months ago.   Interesting 'ghost town' to visit.   Interesting in that its an old abandoned town but thats about it.     My visit was mid summer so alot of foreign tourists like myself.   It would be quite eerie to go when no one is around, which i recommend. 

CT, looks like a nice airport in a beautiful area but not much around it?  How did this get established and what supports it - camping and hiking?

I have wondered that myself Dick, not just Lee Vining but Bridgeport, Mammoth, Bishop, Independence and Lone Pine airports.  I think the only reason they exist in the first place was to make development and maintenance of the LA aqueduct easier.  I'm thinking they are all on Los Angeles Department of Water and Power land.

Mammoth Yosemite's growth is supported by FAA funds :)   The others are supported by Inyo and Mono Counties.  Their maintainence is usually minimal and these are very big and remote counties.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived