Lane Lights Drop off

Gary Duclos

CTLSI with Duel 10" Dynon Screens .  Several months ago LIne A and B dropped off in flight with right screen engine operating data red x'd with a noticeable jolt felt. . Plane continued to fly. By trial and error found out that recycling start switch, screen and lane lights came back on.  Happened periodically. Running it by many people including Rotax came up with the idea of replacing start switch. Worked for two months. Now is happening again. Has anyone had a similar experience. Have heard some people think CT start switch is of poor design.

If A and B actually dropped off, I think your engine would quit. On top of your engine are several ( I think four) wire bundles with connectors. I would

have to look at the plane again to be sure.

Could be one or more loose connectors. Even though they feel like they are well connected, would suggest pulling them together at the connector and wire them tight.

That fixed the one problem I had with the big red light.

As Duane can attest to take a very close look at your wire bundles down by the fuel shut off valve behind the lower center panel. BE THOROUGH. Check the computer connections on the computer behind the top center panel. My guess is one of these will be involved. I doubt it's the switch twice in a row and my guess is it may not have been the switch it was someone moved some wires back there when doing the switch and now they have moved again.

As Duane can attest to take a very close look at your wire bundles down by the fuel shut off valve behind the lower center panel. BE THOROUGH. Check the computer connections on the computer behind the top center panel. My guess is one of these will be involved. I doubt it's the switch twice in a row and my guess is it may not have been the switch it was someone moved some wires back there when doing the switch and now they have moved again.

Roger, I think he should be checking on top of the engine, in the engine compartment.

The starter switch problem caused starting problems due to wires being rubbed bare and shorted out when the fuel valve was moved on and off. I think this is a different problem.

Gary, we did have a problem with the fuel valve lever rubbing wires bare behind the center panel. With the dual fuel shutoff valves, the opening and closing of the fuel lever

moves the connecting rod to the valves sideways and resulted in the starter wire bundle being rubbed bare. That problem may not be what you have going on now.

Our "push-pull" battery and generator main breakers/switches are not designed to be used constantly as switches.  My mechanic replaced my battery breaker/switch due to intermittent voltage being supplied to the instrument panel.   This might be something to put on your list to check?

Archived