CONSIDERING CTSW or CTLS FOR HIGH ELEVATION AIRFIELD (6,000ft)

fredycompean

Yes. absolutely.  The CT is an incredible flyer for the money.  It's range is the same as the Cirrus but on a fraction of the fuel, and about 100kts slower, but certainly an adequate plane to fly up and down a state or between two of them in a day.  The CT and the Sling are incredible planes when you get down to it....they are just smaller and a little slower.

That 100kt makes a difference, I'd certainly rather have your Cirrus if I needed to cross half the country in an afternoon.

That 100kt makes a difference, I'd certainly rather have your Cirrus if I needed to cross half the country in an afternoon.

Well as you know you pay for what you get.  The Cirrus 100LL fuel is a LOT more than the Mogas we used in the CT and you need a LOT more of it 14gph LOP...but is comfy on long trips and has TKS deicing and pitot heater whcih adds some extra safety.   And of course it costs 7 times as much as a new CT.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth OP.... I had time in a CTSW, and 2 CTLS's before buying my rans... (I'm at 6600ft ground elevation and flew regularly in the mountains of CO) the SW always performed noticeably better.... it's a little lighter, but that really didn't seem to explain it... one of the LS's had the prop pitched finer than either of the other planes, and still wouldn't perform up high as well. Could be a number of other things.. so don't take this as gospel... But the SW was always capable up high... I'm 6'4" and 240 and I took it in and out of leadville with a passenger who was ~170 and 2/3s fuel....the LS's were both dogs....just my experiences with a couple FD's. Whatever you buy, testing it as much as possible before buying something would be best....

It's all  about prop pitch. and setup at a particular altitude.

that what I couldn't make sense off.. the SW had coarser prop pitch vs. the others.. it was pretty over pitched.... not the way I prefer/good for it.. but ran pretty well..... and from what I understand now, 1 of the LS's got in behind a jet or c130 in the run up area and flipped over... sad  :(

This isn't about empty dry weight of an SW to an LS either. It depends what weight is put in it afterwards. An LS may weigh more on delivery, but depending on how much a pilot and or passenger weight plus how much fuel or baggage you have the SW may weigh much more. I see people touting empty weight. Planes aren't flown empty so that makes no difference in a discussion like this. It FINAL gross weight at take off that's the player and then it becomes prop pitch.

This isn't about empty dry weight of an SW to an LS either. It depends what weight is put in it afterwards. An LS may weigh more on delivery, but depending on how much a pilot and or passenger weight plus how much fuel or baggage you have the SW may weigh much more. I see people touting empty weight. Planes aren't flown empty so that makes no difference in a discussion like this. It FINAL gross weight at take off that's the player and then it becomes prop pitch.

If you put the same load on the airplane the one with the lighter empty weight will always be lighter. Lighter means it has more excess power, meaning better performance.

For what it's worth OP.... I had time in a CTSW, and 2 CTLS's before buying my rans... (I'm at 6600ft ground elevation and flew regularly in the mountains of CO) the SW always performed noticeably better.... it's a little lighter, but that really didn't seem to explain it... one of the LS's had the prop pitched finer than either of the other planes, and still wouldn't perform up high as well. Could be a number of other things.. so don't take this as gospel... But the SW was always capable up high... I'm 6'4" and 240 and I took it in and out of leadville with a passenger who was ~170 and 2/3s fuel....the LS's were both dogs....just my experiences with a couple FD's. Whatever you buy, testing it as much as possible before buying something would be best....

Haven't heard from you in a while Todd...how's the big bore kit working out now that you have some hours on it?

fwiw, all 3 planes had the same config (instruments, tire size etc.), same basic weight/fuel onboard during a lot of the flights, and the sw would consistently outperform the others.. chalk it up to whatever you like - I never could find a real/solid reason to explain it..and I hear what your saying- my bird has gotten pretty chunky since I started adding goodies to it! I liked the look of the LS better, the inside cargo area, rear windows and the main gear etc.. But I always chose the SW as the extra performance was  pretty helpful up here. Very well could just be those particular airplanes though!! 

Haven't heard from you in a while Todd...how's the big bore kit working out now that you have some hours on it?

Loving it Andy!

Had it at 1500ft at a breakfast run in Lucas, KS at the annual RANS fly in in. Thing was an absolute monster on take off and climb. Still uses just a touch of oil..  Leak down tests were real high/tight when I did the annual. So far so good! 150+ hours on those cylinders and pistons! Built a huge nose fork and went even larger on tires (could get 100knots out of it by adding some pitch, as is about 105-110mph cruise dragging those balloons around)... going after a whirlwind 75" prop next (saving my pennies)

Archived