'Wish I had a camera rolling...

CT4ME

Wow, a weird flight today.  'Coming back to Phoenix and just South of town, when two things happened within a minute of each other.  My wingman, Pete, reports that his engine is running rough and he's making an emergency precautionary landing in Chandler.  While he's heading in for a straight-in, I do a couple of orbits, waiting in case I can help out.  Because I'm right in a high-traffic area, I'm checking the traffic screen (TIS and ADSB/in) & rubber-necking like crazy.   On the screen I see several targets right in front of me, moving fast.   They are so close together that the data on the screen was unreadable.  I look out the front to see 4 jets flying in tight formation right in front of me, lower, flying right to left.  As I complete the orbit, they appear again, a bit higher, but still below me.  I can clearly see it's two F-35s and two F-16s.  It turns out, they were doing a flyover at Phoenix International Raceway (NASCAR) and had circled below me to time their arrival for the end of the National Anthem.  Wow, an intense 5 minutes

BTW, Pete landed successfully in Chandler, followed by me.  It appears to be another classic case of materials in the fuel bowl, plugging the jets.  At full throttle the engine began running extremely rough, but smoothed out when dropping down to 4100-4200 rpm.  

Chandler is D, and we were seconds from contacting KPHX B to transition through it, but hadn't switched frequencies.  We switched to Chandler only quick enough to request the landing.  I checked afterward and could find no NOTAMs, but there was a stadium TFR over the raceway (and Cardinal stadium), but it was very localized to the stadium area.  When I asked a curt "what's with the jets?", I got a curt "NASCAR".  

We had been monitoring KPHX approach, but never heard anything about the jets, although there was plenty about Sky Divers at Eloy and Casa Grande.

same subject but different deal.   Flying back to FPR from out west, with a few small showers about I Looked down and saw a small cloud over a small ranch and there was a halo !   Imagine seeing a halo as god sees it and not being able to take a picture.

Also there has been roughness associated with carb vent tubes that go through the airbox.  Disconnected or pulled to one side or the other can cause roughness.

As far as bowl materials go, a lot of the instances are related to work being done, especially hose changes.

Archived