DHeal   

How important is it to pre-fill the new-style oil filters with oil?  Seems like a pretty messy operation.  Could one just install the new-style oil filter dry and then rotate the prop a fe extra turns?

WmInce   
3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I don't remember it being to messy back when we prefilled the filters. You do have to be quick though.

Screw that.

Turn the prop 60 blades (20 revolutions) . . . and that should be more than enough to fill that filter with oil.

You can fill it and the medium will saturate and you can fill it about half way  after that without being a mess.

Getting a new wrench made if the price is right. Rivco folks only make that one that fit the old filter and that was for Harley's.  I hope to have some info in a day or two for a new Rotax filter wrench.

WmInce   
37 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Getting a new wrench made if the price is right. Rivco folks only make that one that fit the old filter and that was for Harley's.  I hope to have some info in a day or two for a new Rotax filter wrench.

Great!:thumbs_up-3334:

20171213_134358.thumb.jpg.399915444602a0eb084918c0ec1c3e17.jpg20171213_134453.thumb.jpg.e1a4897ad043285889b59fcaaeb491d7.jpg20171213_134601.thumb.jpg.3e64c5f124bd57e4c8cff5f7f82e0648.jpgOkay I have news.

We have a new Rotax oil filter wrench made specifically for the Rotax filter or any 8 sided end filter. The old Rivco was 14 sided and was just standard metal with a coating.

This new wrench has a straight handle and  stainless steel which won't rust or lose the coating. The Rivco wrench was made for a Harley motorcycle.

Stainless is about the same price as a steel wrench that is coated. These will be $24 plus shipping. My guess is shipping will be about $3- $5.

I'll have these in about a week.

Hi Duane,

I used the prototype today on your engine with the brand new Rotax oil filter. Works like a charm.

I'm supposed to have the others in about a week.

JLang   

Any idea why Rotax introduced the new filter?  I just replaced the filter with the current/old 825-012 version, which is what CPS still lists, and am wondering whether to try to stock up on that one or switch to the new version next time.