Burping the Engine before starting

I just hope that the Rotax is robust enough to handle microscopic bits of debris possibly transferred via a clean towel!

That's what the oil filter is for!  

I usually just lift the stick enough to see the oil level, then drop it back in if it's good.  If the engine has been sitting all night there will not be any oil running down the stick to confuse the reading.

That's what the oil filter is for!  

I usually just lift the stick enough to see the oil level, then drop it back in if it's good.  If the engine has been sitting all night there will not be any oil running down the stick to confuse the reading.

I think just a look at the dipstick is fine. I have not noticed any hydroscopic issues with the oil dipstick in the Rotax engine. Some aircraft engine definitely need their dipstick wiped, because they can indicate as much as 25% more oil than is really there.

• 1 month later...

Tanis will be your Cadillac heater. It has Rotax's blessing, and Flight Design will provide a MRA for installation. 

I use a 1500w $20 electric space heater from Walmart. I used some heating ductwork fittings and dryer hose from the hardware store. I have two hoses, one I plug one hose in the small round opening on the front of the cowling and the other in the oil door. It has served me well the past few years. The only problem is that it doesn't travel well.

I keep a 100w. light bulb hanging by the oil reservoir with a foam plug in the rad inlet and heavy quilt over the engine cowling.  When it's below 30F, I use a hair dryer for about 20 minutes before flying.  Keeps things warm during winter months.

post-24-0-10794500-1488548769_thumb.jpg

Archived