Pedals unbalanced

CT2K

Very hard to tell from the pictures.  It appears that the passenger's right pedal is up near the firewall and the pilot's right pedal looks vertical.  This tells me that the right rudder system is not in sync.  Something appears to be bent and one of the pedals (passenger's right one?) needs to be cut loose from the cross tube, repositioned to be vertical identical to the pilot's right pedal and then welded back on the cross tube. Or, perhaps the passenger's right pedal can be bent back into correct position?  The pilot's left pedal shows that it is cutting the blue carpet on the firewall. This pedal then appears to be positioned forward towards the firewall while the passenger's left pedal looks OK vertically.  The pilot's left pedal appears to have been repaired by reweldiing to the cross tube but in a position more forward than the passenger's left pedal.  Again, this indicates to me that the pilot's left pedal was not positioned properly prior to being welded and should be cut loose from the cross tube (again) and then positioned vertically equal to the passenger's left pedal and rewelded to the cross tube.  Before I would change anything by rewelding or bending, I would understand where the factory location of the pedals should be relative to the firewall and relative to the bellcranks where the cables connect so that the rigging of the rudder cables and bellcranks can be properly carried out afterwards.  Just some non-expert comments here.  I would definitely recommend you seek the opinion of someone with a lot of experience rigging a aircraft for correct repair.

If the one welded was not aligned properly and when these were re-installed and not aligned again then this would account for the misalignment on either side.

It has either been repaired incorrectly, the tube is twisted, or it is bent. As for aligning when reinstalled there is no way the pedals could be off just a little by assembly, it would have to be 120° off.

Many thanks for all your input. So in conclusion the left pedal of the pilot has gone under welding, which may mean it might have experienced some tough time, wich the prvious owner didn't tell.

@Runtoeat: "The pilot's left pedal shows that it is cutting the blue carpet on the firewall". Good catch. It does indeed. The pedal being stopped by the wall is exactly what makes slides to that side less pronouced than slides to the other side.

Given all this, will it be easy/complex/costly to just replace the pedal kit with new ones?

If you can get a new or serviceable pedal replacing it is not rocket science. However reaching the fasteners to replace it can prove difficult. First thing when you start work is to remove the pushrods from the nose gear to relieve tension on the rudder cables. One thing I seem to remember when I did one of these was that removing the plastic bearing block on the tunnel allowed a different access point for removing the fasteners the hold the pedals together.

Archived