Today I tried to get my 2nd flight in and dead battery!

Buckaroo

It's actually Shorai.  They make a lot of ATV and motorcycle batteries.  They use Lithium IRON instead of Lithium ION.  These are called "LiFe" batteries.  They are very lightweight for their power output, and have no overheating/fire hazards like Lithium Ion batteries.  I was planning to put one in the SonexI was building before I saw the light and bought a CTSW.  :)

Linky:

http://shoraipower.com/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flight Design price list dated March 2012 lists the Lithium-iron-phosphate battery as an option for e628.00 order no 70311

Yes, if it was ordered with it from the factory you could get it. I didn't say they hadn't approved a Lithium-iron-phosphate battery. I said they hadn't approved one to replace the battery in the airplanes delivered with a Powersafe SBS 8.

Yes, if it was ordered with it from the factory you could get it. I didn't say they hadn't approved a Lithium-iron-phosphate battery. I said they hadn't approved one to replace the battery in the airplanes delivered with a Powersafe SBS 8.

Does it save any real weight over an Odyssey battery?  I can't see spending $700+ on a battery unless it weighs a LOT less, and the Odyssey is already pretty light.  The Shorei batteries are not nearly that expensive, IIRC they are $150-200.  If I could save 10lb it might be worth buying one for my E-LSA CTSW, but I doubt the savings are more than 2-4lb.

Does it save any real weight over an Odyssey battery?  I can't see spending $700+ on a battery unless it weighs a LOT less, and the Odyssey is already pretty light.  The Shorei batteries are not nearly that expensive, IIRC they are $150-200.  If I could save 10lb it might be worth buying one for my E-LSA CTSW, but I doubt the savings are more than 2-4lb.

Andy, I doubt the weight savings are much. The big bonus is battery capacity. The airplanes being offered when these batteries were an option all had the dual 10" Dynons, plus all the other bells and whistles. They needed more capacity if there was a failure with the engine driven part of the electrical system.

You little D100 without engine electrical power would be OK for quite some time.

Andy, I doubt the weight savings are much. The big bonus is battery capacity. The airplanes being offered when these batteries were an option all had the dual 10" Dynons, plus all the other bells and whistles. They needed more capacity if there was a failure with the engine driven part of the electrical system.

You little D100 without engine electrical power would be OK for quite some time.

Especially with the backup battery installed in it!  :)

Same subject but different component.  Has anyone done the "Chanik mod" of installing the Shottky diode on the regulator?  I am very curious how well the charging system works with this.  The goal is to bring our charging system up from 13.4 +- volts to 14.2 +- volts the AGM battery is designed for. 

Update:  Got a reply from one forum member that this diode does work (well).  Any others use this?

Still an improvement over my 13.2 to 13.4.  I'm wondering why FD doesn't add this diode to improve the charge rate for the AGM's they use in our CT's?  Does the new CTLSi have a different charging system that provides a proper charge rate?  These surely must need it with the high current draw of the new avionics.

I have to post a accolade for Odysseybattery.com. When my one year old pc310 battery died after one year I ordered a new one from batterymart 2 nd day shipped for $175. Then I called Odysseybattery.com and talked to a very nice young lady about my old battery failing so soon. Long story short she called battery mart and had my $175 refunded. ????????????

I have to post a accolade for Odysseybattery.com. When my one year old pc310 battery died after one year I ordered a new one from batterymart 2 nd day shipped for $175. Then I called Odysseybattery.com and talked to a very nice young lady about my old battery failing so soon. Long story short she called battery mart and had my $175 refunded. ????????????

Excellent!

Archived