Passed Checkride! And One Piece of Advice for Student Pilots

JLang

After at least five postponements due to weather, starting early November, I finally was able to take and pass my checkride in my 2007 CTSW.  It went about as well as it could have, though the DPE gave me quite a lot of leeway on my landings since there was about a 10kt crosswind and choppy conditions.

Anyway, in the repository of knowledge that is this forum, I am sure this is well known, but for future student pilot test-takers, one piece of advice I will pass on is to TALK through everything.  I'm not a chatty person, but during the test I talked through every detail: what I was trying to do and why, what was actually happening, and what I was going to do to correct it (if necessary).  The DPE will know if you are close to the maneuver limits on altitude, speed, etc, so calling attention to that, even when you go beyond them, conveys that you recognize and will fix that condition.

Congrats. As they say, 'now you can go and learn how to fly'. 

We also have a 2006 CTsw we have been flying since new. We are both rated, however, part of our cockpit management is the 'verbal self conversation', which allows the other seat to monitor you as well as their own responsibilities. 

Over 50 years of flight deck experience, I still talk myself through the various actions. Something about 'hearing' the item.

Enjoy the upcoming events, and be safe out there.

After at least five postponements due to weather, starting early November, I finally was able to take and pass my checkride in my 2007 CTSW.  It went about as well as it could have, though the DPE gave me quite a lot of leeway on my landings since there was about a 10kt crosswind and choppy conditions.

Anyway, in the repository of knowledge that is this forum, I am sure this is well known, but for future student pilot test-takers, one piece of advice I will pass on is to TALK through everything.  I'm not a chatty person, but during the test I talked through every detail: what I was trying to do and why, what was actually happening, and what I was going to do to correct it (if necessary).  The DPE will know if you are close to the maneuver limits on altitude, speed, etc, so calling attention to that, even when you go beyond them, conveys that you recognize and will fix that condition.

Sport or Private?

Private.  I wanted to be able to fly at night.

Wtg.  Keeping night currency under 61.57 is a bit of a pain, btw.  That's at least three takeoffs/landings at night each 90 days if you want to take someone along.   I have not flown at night for six months and am not night current at present.

Wtg.  Keeping night currency under 61.57 is a bit of a pain, btw.  That's at least three takeoffs/landings at night each 90 days if you want to take someone along.   I have not flown at night for six months and am not night current at present.

You know, having just taken and having passed his private pilot check ride I bet he knew the night currency requirements.

You know, having just taken and having passed his private pilot check ride I bet he knew the night currency requirements.

Currency is not an emphasis area for Sport or Private.  Since he mentioned going for Private to fly at night it may be useful to mention it.

Currency is not an emphasis area for Sport or Private.  Since he mentioned going for Private to fly at night it may be useful to mention it.

Where do you come up with this nonsense? The very first item in the very first section of the new Airman certification Standards for Private Pilot is:

PA.I.A.K1

1. Currency, regulatory compliance, privileges, and limitations.

Now this may not be a special emphasis area, but it certainly is required knowledge for a private pilot applicant.

I was most definitely grilled on currency, and was prepared for the questions, but no worries, as a newbie I'll happily listen to suggestions and advice.

I was most definitely grilled on currency, and was prepared for the questions, but no worries, as a newbie I'll happily listen to suggestions and advice.

It will not be long and you will be able to ascertain who the reliable sources are here from the ones that are not.

Good luck with that.

I trained for about 25hrs mostly in a Cherokee before getting my CT, including several night flights.  I came to these conclusions for myself:

1) Night flying is fun!  I wanna be able to do this.

2) If I am not careful, especially in trusting optical effects over instruments, I could screw up big time...

3) No way I want to do much night flying without a chute.

After getting the CT, I did a few other training flights at night and it was much friendlier than the Cherokee.  After cranking the brightness way down, the Dynons are much easier to interpret than the 6-pack, and the excellent visibility is helpful.  And I indeed felt more secure with the chute, knowing that was an option in case of a engine failure and I could not tell if the black void below me was empty field or forest of oak trees or parking lot.

As I had to recite during my checkride, and as you all probably still recall, a landing light is actually not required for night flight unless you are flying for hire.  For the pilot, the benefit is the runway being lit up (to some degree) during flare, to gauge height.  As long as you are not expecting car-like headlights, it is effective at this task.  And of course it makes you more visible to others in the pattern.

On the subject, another question for those wise in the ways of airmanship: do you have your landing light on during taxi?  Seems like I read conflicting opinions on this in the textbooks.  Good for visibility, but can impair night vision for you and others.  I tend to leave it off until takeoff unless I feel there is a safety concern during taxi.

Archived