TBO Revisited

jackwhickman

I know, I know!  This has been discussed many times, but I seek an update.  I have a 2006 CTSW with a perfectly good 912ULS with 650 hours and manufacture-date March 2006.  However the engine is an early serial number with an 1800hr/12year TBO.  Thus the TBO question is no longer an academic question for me, in a year I face TBO!  As I see it I have three choices:

1.      Continue flying after TBO  “on condition”

2.      Convert to  ”experimental” before TBO

3.      Sell the 912 and replace with new.

I have three questions: 

1.      Has the FAA ever clarified their position (as Roger has often asked them to do)  as to whether the Rotax so-called “mandatory” TBO deadlines are considered “mandatory” by the FAA, or are they okay with going “on condition”.

2.      If I pass TBO and go “on condition”, will this affect my ability to convert from S-LSA to Experimental at some time in the future?  Said another way, will passing TBO affect the safety of the aircraft or “air worthiness” as seen by the FAA in such a way preventing a transition to Experimental?

3.      Roger – What do you teach in your CPS class about the TBO requirement?

Thanks for any help.

I know, I know!  This has been discussed many times, but I seek an update.  I have a 2006 CTSW with a perfectly good 912ULS with 650 hours and manufacture-date March 2006.  However the engine is an early serial number with an 1800hr/12year TBO.  Thus the TBO question is no longer an academic question for me, in a year I face TBO!  As I see it I have three choices:

Yours is a 1500 hr. engine.

1.      Continue flying after TBO  “on condition”  YES

2.      Convert to  ”experimental” before TBO Not necessary

3.      Sell the 912 and replace with new. Only if you want to.

I have three questions: 

1.      Has the FAA ever clarified their position (as Roger has often asked them to do)  as to whether the Rotax so-called “mandatory” TBO deadlines are considered “mandatory” by the FAA, or are they okay with going “on condition”. The FAA did indeed clarify this years ago. Rotax can not set policy. The FAA allows on condition after TBO. Go on condition. I have friends with 3K-4K hours on their engines.

2.      If I pass TBO and go “on condition”, will this affect my ability to convert from S-LSA to Experimental at some time in the future? NO

Said another way, will passing TBO affect the safety of the aircraft or “air worthiness” as seen by the FAA in such a way preventing a transition to Experimental? NO

3.      Roger – What do you teach in your CPS class about the TBO requirement? Same as above. So long as it meets specs keep on trucken.

Thanks for any help.

To add on to what roger said:

Overhauls of engines based on TBO do not exist in the ASTM standards. Manufacturers cannot force what doesn't exist in the standards without clear evidence of safety concerns. To the FAA, on condition is satisfactory, and is backed up by statistics.

Yours is a 1500 hr. engine.

1.      Continue flying after TBO  “on condition”  YES

2.      Convert to  ”experimental” before TBO Not necessary

3.      Sell the 912 and replace with new. Only if you want to.

I have three questions: 

1.      Has the FAA ever clarified their position (as Roger has often asked them to do)  as to whether the Rotax so-called “mandatory” TBO deadlines are considered “mandatory” by the FAA, or are they okay with going “on condition”. The FAA did indeed clarify this years ago. Rotax can not set policy. The FAA allows on condition after TBO. Go on condition. I have friends with 3K-4K hours on their engines.

2.      If I pass TBO and go “on condition”, will this affect my ability to convert from S-LSA to Experimental at some time in the future? NO

Said another way, will passing TBO affect the safety of the aircraft or “air worthiness” as seen by the FAA in such a way preventing a transition to Experimental? NO

3.      Roger – What do you teach in your CPS class about the TBO requirement? Same as above. So long as it meets specs keep on trucken.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks again !

Cheers

Archived