bmar

Tow bar for moving plane?

Soon to be owner of a CTLS. How do you move the plane or back it into the hangar? If it has towbar pins what tow bar do I order? Or should I push it back holding the base of the prop?

Thanks!

As mentioned above you push down on the tail to turn it and push back on the tail to roll it.

That said you can use a tow bar for steering. I have put 3-4 setups on the front axle with longer bolts that a tow bar will fit. It's really quite easy. It is not meant for heavy pushing and pulling, but light stuff works just fine.

I gotta say, my favorite part of the preflight is pulling the plane out of the hangar (holding the base of the prop) and turning it 90deg by lightly pushing down on the tail and walking her around.  In my short time flying I've given flights to several passengers and each one bursts out giggling when seeing the routine.  The joys of a featherweight plane...

I have been pushing on the wing root, the left side, facing the tail,

works well, but using the other side gives odd results, the nosegear

Twists somewhat, do not know why.

Also, am back to Incline parking, and stopping the roll forward after

backing the CT in, can be tricky. You need a plan, chock the nose, or

Grab the horse collar and attach to tie down line/chain, or maybe go from the

Tailboom to the cockpit to set the brake.

The towbar idea is better suited for steering more than a full push/pull setup. You can use the towbar to steer and push or pull at the base of the prop at the hub.

I have always been a guy that moved the plane manually as many have described here.  Lately, I pull the plane out of the hangar manually but started using a tow bar (Aircraft Spruce) to put it back in, and have to say - its easier to maneuver and steer into position in my hangar (which has a slight uphill grade to back into).   I guess what that means is - you don't need a tow bar, but tow bars work just fine and in some cases make it easier for you depending on your parking situation, age and physical limitations.