Towing gliders

ls6pilot

Not planning to tow. They have used them in Europe. Just curious how they perform. 

It is illegal for a sport pilot to tow. 

Not sure about a PP in a slsa. Here is the reference for usa lsa:

These aircraft may not be operated for compensation or hire except to tow a light-sport glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.309 or to conduct flight training.

Many gliders would not fit lsa because of the max vne set at 120 knots. 

Any comments from across the pond?

Rich

If I'm not mistaken it is illegal to tow with an LSA in the US.

You are mistaken. Any LSA with an airworthiness certificate in the standard category can tow any glider. Any SLSA or SLSA converted to ELSA may tow a ultralight or light sport glider for hire. LSA with airworthiness certificates issued under other forms in the experimental category may also be used also if allowed on their operating limitations. These operations are allowed to be performed in the aircraft, but they may not be performed by a sport pilot, or a pilot operating under sport pilot privileges. This is a good example that it is what you are doing in a LSA that determines what pilot certificate you must hold , and if you need a medical. It is not just the simple fact that you are flying a LSA.

You are mistaken. Any LSA with an airworthiness certificate in the standard category can tow any glider. Any SLSA or SLSA converted to ELSA may tow a ultralight or light sport glider for hire. LSA with airworthiness certificates issued under other forms in the experimental category may also be used also if allowed on their operating limitations. These operations are allowed to be performed in the aircraft, but they may not be performed by a sport pilot, or a pilot operating under sport pilot privileges. This is a good example that it is what you are doing in a LSA that determines what pilot certificate you must hold , and if you need a medical. It is not just the simple fact that you are flying a LSA.

Thank you for setting the record straight . . . again!

It was originally approved for overseas CT's, but not in the US.

Hi Tom,

That sounds like an out of date checklist from years gone by? Newer ones don't have that. 

It is the checklist that was delivered with my CTLS when new. It is still included on the most recent version in the AOI posted on the FDUSA website.

Hi Tom,

I looked in the 2008 version of the  CTLS maint. checklist and did not see this.

Are you talking about sections 9 &10 in the AOI? Where it says testing of sailplane and banner towing has not yet been finished?

It also says it may not be approved in some countries. 

There is no mention of a tow setup inspection procedure in the maint. checklist? If it isn't listed in the maint. checklist then FD would have no official way to perform and inspection.

Roger, it is on the preflight inspection checklist. Item 27 page 4-2. As for section 9, the testing may have been completed since January 2009. Anyway the OP ask about the CTSW not the CTLS.

The fact that the CTLS had not been tested yet in 2009, doesn't change the fact that it is legal to tow a glider with a SLSA.

I have heard of a CTSW in the Northeast that was being used as a glider tow plane, but that was several years ago.

To tow it would most likely need to be commercial which an LSA can't be. People don't just tow things for fun.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/LSA_Cert_8July2013.pdf

These aircraft may not be operated for compensation or hire except to tow a light-sport glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.309 or to conduct flight training.

To tow it would most likely need to be commercial which an LSA can't be. People don't just tow things for fun.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/LSA_Cert_8July2013.pdf

First off lets be specific, we are talking about SLSA. LSA covers any airplane that meets the CFR 1.1 definition, and some of those can be flown for commercial purposes.

In your last line you sited the important statement relevant to SLSA and towing gliders. Towing a light sport glider or ultralight glider, Instruction and rental are the only things a SLSA can be flown for commercially.

FAA

Light-Sport Operating Limitations

Light Sport Aircraft (Airplane)

(10) No person may operate this aircraft in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except to tow a light-sport glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with 91.309 or to conduct flight training.

All S-LSAs carry these limitations in their planes. I suspect E-LSA has a similar set?

Here's the rules on towing:

First: 61.69 applies. You must be private pilot or higher and have appropriate experience.

Second: 91.309 applies. you must have the appropriate preparations.

Here's the gotcha: NO LSA may be used for hire. (Sidenote: the FAA does NOT consider flight instruction "for hire"). The wording that you're looking for is that LSA may be used only for recreational purposes. That means no receiving pay for towing. You may, however, tow, for example, other flying club airplanes. Glider clubs and LSAs are allowed.

There are talks about opening up LSA to allowing towing for hire.

Here's the rules on towing:

First: 61.69 applies. You must be private pilot or higher and have appropriate experience.

Second: 91.309 applies. you must have the appropriate preparations.

Here's the gotcha: NO LSA may be used for hire. (Sidenote: the FAA does NOT consider flight instruction "for hire"). The wording that you're looking for is that LSA may be used only for recreational purposes. That means no receiving pay for towing. You may, however, tow, for example, other flying club airplanes. Glider clubs and LSAs are allowed.

There are talks about opening up LSA to allowing towing for hire.

Corey, you also need to look at 91.327. This where the regulations say that you may not use a SLSA for hire. However the are 2 exceptions, and they are listed in 91.327, (a), (1) and (2). The exception in (1) is where you are allowed to use a SLSA for hire towing a light sport glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.

Also you need to be more specific, because there are a large number of LSA with airworthiness certificates in the standard category. These airplanes can certainly be used for hire.

If you put all the regs together, it sounds like an SLSA may tow a light sport glider or nonpowered ultralight.  The pilot must be Private or higher.  If Commercial, he could get paid.  That's how I read it anyway.

With an appropriate medical certificate to exercise those privileges.

Corey, you also need to look at 91.327. This where the regulations say that you may not use a SLSA for hire. However the are 2 exceptions, and they are listed in 91.327, (a), (1) and (2). The exception in (1) is where you are allowed to use a SLSA for hire towing a light sport glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.

Also you need to be more specific, because there are a large number of LSA with airworthiness certificates in the standard category. These airplanes can certainly be used for hire.

On the first point: maybe it was the ASTM that I'm thinking of then? I know it was allowed, but the "compensation" part surprises me. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

On the second part: Those aren't LSAs in the sense I'm getting at. They can certainly fit the category of one per the definition in 1.1, but the rules are written around the airworthiness certificate, and that's what I'm mainly referring to.

Archived