Cig lighter plug in CT

procharger

So... if you replaced it with one of these, which have two 2.1 amp USB outlets you would probably be OK since 4.2 amps at 5 volts is just 21 watts, will below 3 amps at 12 volts which is 36 watts... unless the device creates 5 volts by switching 12 volts on and off real quickly... In which case it might pop the circuit breaker if the two fast switches come on together... And generate RFI which would block your radio...

Does anyone know if any of this is correct? I'm an ME. I don't know how this stuff works.

Mike Koerner

post-545-0-07594500-1493516100_thumb.png

I was told by my avionics guy that the USB port could cause problems with the radio, but didn't know why. He wanted $400 to install a USB port that would be compatible. I've had a few problems with radio interference, possibly due to that, but passed on that offer due to cost. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced alternative?

I was told by my avionics guy that the USB port could cause problems with the radio, but didn't know why. He wanted $400 to install a USB port that would be compatible. I've had a few problems with radio interference, possibly due to that, but passed on that offer due to cost. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced alternative?

I have powered a Stratus unit from the outlet, using a USB connector, for the entire time I've owned the plane (CTLSi).  Never a radio interference problem.

Andy

The only problems I've encountered have been at two airports, on the clearance delivery frequency at one (Louisville Bowman), and tower frequency at the other (Anderson, IN). Other frequencies at both places worked fine. Never any other problems, but it's happened twice at each of these two airports. So I wonder if it could be interference at specific frequencies. Or a radio problem unrelated to the USB port. I'll have a chance to experiment at Anderson in a few weeks.

Archived