Left handed and eyed CT pilots

I don't think I've seen discussion here regarding flying on one side or the other based on dominant eye.  However, there are a number of instructors that fly from the right seat, and seem to become comfortable flying from there.

I am left-handed and have seven years in my CTLS.  I am completely comfortable being in the left-seat.  I did have have about 12 hours in the right seat and it just doesn't feel right, especially landing.  I guess over time one gets better at right seat flying.  Airline pilots do.

With dual glass, you can configure your screens for 'pilot' flight ideal needs on the right screen. The only inconvenience for me in the right is the 'reach' to the autopilot inputs on the far lower left of our panel.  Otherwise I fly right exclusively, since that is where I was while Rose was a student, etc..

The first time I climbed in a CT to take a demo flight was on the left side. I felt really uncomfortable. We stopped at the end of the runway and I switched to the right side. Almost all of my flying in the CT has been from the right side. Most of the flying has been giving instruction, so I would have been there anyway. I also fly there when flying solo or with a passenger.

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Time to train the other hand and eye. It doesn't take long and is fairly easy. Just let your mind do the work and don't try to over think it. I've switched back and forth many times. It shouldn't be hard and will become more natural soon.

Oh, when I did my Instrument Rating a few years ago, my instructor got on me for that... and, wouldn't you know it? After a few hours of landing with my left hand on the stick I stopped thinking about it. And now I almost prefer it that way. It wasn't nearly as hard to adapt as I expected.

• 5 months later...

I have about 100 hours in the right seat.  I am not as good from the right, but basically safe and I often put newbies in the left seat for a ride.   Can't see the instruments as well from the right, though.  WF 

Archived