ICON Fatal Accident

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New witness reports say it was maneuvering at cruising speed about 30-50 feet above the water, and turned into a cove seconds before the crash.  Earlier speculation was that they hit low wires.  There is some discussion now about the cove being a box canyon.  

One of my dislikes of the Icon A5 has been the marketing, especially the constant feel-good videos of the plane(s) zipping around at very low levels.  

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/A5-Maneuvering-at-Low-Altitude-Prior-to-Crash-228982-1.html 

• 1 month later...

It seems to go with the amphibian territory. SeaRey owner videos often feature some dicey low level flying. On the positive side, when over water its the same as us being over a runway. On the bad side, it is the reason that amphib's have a high accident rate. All that low level flying is very demanding and a moment's lapse of attention can put you in the drink. But I too really don't like the manufacturer promoting risky behavior, that will bite his customers in the end and put us all in a bad light.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, SportFlyer1 said:

Well this is the effect of all their previous overspending. They are in hock over $60 million to their Chinese part owners and it looks like they are trying to pay it back with the first 5 planes, lol.

As if they are ever going to deliver five planes.   ;)

I think part of the problem is marketing.  Icon describes the A5 as being like "a jet ski with wings".  Well, a jet ski is easy to use, and anybody can get the hang of it, so the A5 must be similar...right?

These airplanes are not designed as traveling airplanes, but as fun toys.  Look at the Icon web page.  There is embedded video playing, and I encourage you to watch the whole thing, it's probably 30-60 seconds long.  It shows A5s zooming down rivers, over glassy water, and across terrain.  Never at over 100ft AGL.  On their "photos" page there is not a single picture of an ICON flying above 2000ft AGL.  They are marketing this as something to be flown in literally the MOST dangerous way you can fly an airplane.

https://www.iconaircraft.com/home

In the ad, I didn't see any power poles or suspension wires, not even during the short towing scene, while the iCon is being trailered.

IMO, wires are one of the biggest dangers in doing that type of flying. What's more, wires often cross over bodies of water, especially small rivers, as depicted in the ad.

For the newly minted pilot, wires are very hard to pick up. Some are extremely hard to see, even for the veteran. How many stories have we heard, of light aircraft hitting wires at low altitude?

Based upon that ad, it does appear that iCon is making an attractive pitch for low level fun.

Archived