Doors Unlatched in Emergency?

JLang

The recent question about taxiing with doors open prompted this: doors unlatched in an emergency?  Engine out, either forced landing or chute deployment.  I don't see it mentioned in the POH, which I would interpret as a recommendation to keep latched, but I believe in general it's commonly advised, so that the impact doesn't jam the doors shut.  FWIW, the 3rd party Checkmate checklist I have says to open doors during power out forced landing, but not chute deployment.  I have never unlatched the doors during flight, but my guess is that doing so would lead to an immediate and semi-violent door flying open and hitting the wing.  Does anybody know if this is true?  If so, doing so in a forced landing would be at least unnerving, and possibly dangerous; the last thing you need.  However, if you have popped the chute, you're no longer in any control, and this is irrelevant; I would think this is advisable.  Thoughts?  Direct experience?

This has come up before -- the consensus seems to be that the "egg" shaped crash shell of the CT really relies on the doors being closed to provide side rigidity.  Also, those big doors if they fly open can allow intrusions in (tree branches, rocks in a field, pieces of propeller in a prop strike, etc) and body parts to fly out.  If an arm or leg (or head!) is thrown out by crash forces it would be easy for the airplane to roll over it.  I saw that lots of times when I used to do automobile crash investigations.

It comes down to a judgment call on the pilot's part.  I personally will keep them closed and trust in my ability to kick a door or window open/out if I need to get out quickly when the bad noises stop.  One exception might be a water landing; I personally fear drowning more than impalement...

I have had a door open on climb out because the dopey distracted pilot did not latch it properly. At about 60 kt. it gets your attention but nothing bad happens except that I lost a new map, very hard to reclose the door though so I completed a circuit and closed it on the ground. I believe that the book said that you could open the doors in flight at low speed in the early versions of the 2k

At no point have I ever offered to teach anyone stalls/spins or anything else. I am open and honest about my experience and will share these things with others, we can always learn. If you want to pick on me because I admit to being human and may occasionally do something that is not right then go right ahead and make a fool of yourself. Remember that this is a forum for us all to discuss ideas and experience and hopefully learn from others. Remember the saying 'learn from others mistakes because you will not live long enough to make them all yourself'.  

• 4 months later...

Archived