Take off RPM

Al Downs

Not sure what is going on but something has changed. We are at an elevation of 700'. On the ground I get 5200 rpm at wide open throttle. In take off it is 4800 and the plane feels very slow. Really haven't had anything done to it but it just feels slow.

Are those the RPM values the airplane has always had, or have they changed?  Those numbers seem too low, you should see 5600rpm or more in cruise WOT and over 5000rpm on the takeoff roll.  

My airplane had takeoff rpm numbers like yours when I first got it.  Re-pitching the prop flatter (I think by 1.25 degrees), gained me over ten knots in cruise and over 200fpm in climb.  It sounds like the prop needs a flatter pitch, unless something has changed with the engine.

A 400 rpm isn't carb heat. That drop usually only gets you 0-50 rpm depending on when it's done and which model CT you have. Is the mag drop fairly equal at the same time?

I would pop the cowl and start with the carbs looking at the throttle opening and closing and then moving on from there. If throttle linkage openings are equal then check things like the choke closing and then throw a set of sync gauges on the carbs (not an electronic one).

Part of the problem is the weak screw and nut FD used. They are easy to break and or slip.  You can also bend the cable during a hose change which will keep the butterfly from opening and closing because of a bent cable flex. I prefer to toss the crudy screw and nut that breaks too easy if you try to snug it down and use the one off the carb throttle arm that holds the main cable. That one will never break or slip.

• 1 month later...

I had the Carb heat return spring break on my CTLS last year, its located on the back of the airbox.  My wife, while flying with a student noticed a drop in climb and cruise performance during the event as well as a 150-200 rpm loss at max throttle.  A similar symptom can occur if the outer carb heat cable housing comes loose from the barrel connecting it to the airbox.

Hi Eric,

On the CTLS carb heat screw it is too small and the hole that's drilled through it seriously compromises the screw integrity as far as breaking and doesn't hole well. I have tossed them in the past and used the same one that holds the throttle cable on the throttle arm. It neve slips and it never breaks.

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

. . . "On the CTLS carb heat screw it is too small and the hole that's drilled through it seriously compromises the screw integrity as far as breaking and doesn't hold well. I have tossed them in the past and used the same one that holds the throttle cable on the throttle arm. It never slips and it never breaks."

It's posts like this that make this forum great. Thank goodness we have guys like Roger (and a few others) who make worthy contributions.

Archived