12 year mandatory overhaul

Ed,

That has been my point back to the hose change portion of this discussion. I think we can agree though that there are other things that could cause contamination of the float bowls too.

I actually looked up the Rotax procedure for inspecting the float bowls, and it very explicitly requires a determination of cause and subsequent corrective action for ANY contamination in float bowls. The procedure also calls out for idle speed adjustment.

Roger,

Anything from the FAA yet?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Doug,

I just did hear back. They quoted out of 43.1a and checked the video.

They said this is NOT a complex task and it is covered under the sediment / filter ruling under preventive maint. Their example was a Schebler Carb where to do the same bowl removal entailed removing a number of screws and some disassembly and then calibrating the carb. That is considered a complex task.  The Rotax carb bowl is just a sediment basin to collect debris and water before entering the carb like the gascolator which has a bale to remove it. Part 43.1a allows for a sediment filter or filters to be serviced by an owner as preventive maint.

This bale removal is not considered disassembly nor complex.

You can't take what the Rotax manual says for it's literal interpretation at times. This is why going to Rotax schools on a continuing basis (every two years) helps remedy things like this. There are changes to manuals that don't get published on a daily basis.  Most probably don't even know there are new March 2017 manuals out.

"The procedure also calls out for idle speed adjustment."

My way needs to adjustments. It becomes a mute point. Rotax believes in this statement that you disassembled the carb flushing out all orifices. All we're doing here is checking the sediment bowl.

So does this move me to the top of your X-Mas list?:fainting-1344::)

Guess my logic was good with the comparison made  between the gascolator bowl and Bing float bowl but I really didn't think the FAA would be this logical.  Chalk it up to something else I've learned from this thread.  Thanks for taking the time and effort contacting the FAA Roger.  Suggestion:  Perhaps the Forum management might want to "pin" this thread for future reference?. 

Roger,

I don't mean to belabor this point, but in the spirit of total thoroughness, would you mind giving me the name of your FAA contact so that I might contact them and confirm exactly what you said and what he said? I have re-read your post, and some of the details are a bit confusing to me. Apparently I have been misunderstanding some things for a while.

I want to set straight some mis-information that I may have spread, but feel like I need to be able to quote the FAA directly.

I am glad to give you my personal contact info if needed.

Runtoeat,

Who knows.....................It depends on what you think constitutes a win for LSA pilots. If the opinion from Roger's FAA contact is actually the opinion of the collective FAA, than my personal opinion is that it is not a win for aviation in general, but a degradation in our safety standards for some unseen reason.  As I think Tom Baker aptly pointed out, representatives from the FAA can give their opinions just like you or I can. They put their pants on one leg at a time too. When their legal counsel weighs in though, it carries a little more weight as their opinions represent what they (collective FAA) are likely willing to litigate.

That is why I have asked Roger for his contact.

If I can follow up on this, I will do so by email, and copy this forum in on exactly what is said between both of us.

As I have said earlier in this conversation, I don't mind arguing with the FAA when I feel that safety or my ability to properly do business is at stake.

I am not interested in being right for the sake of being right.

According to the FAA, the CT has two gascolators (actually three) I guess. I will say that I am very surprised that they did not have a huge problem with the "self rescue" situation in general.

I would add that while I have not asked any aviatiors their opinion on this topic, I have asked several non-aviation, non-mechanical people about it. Their unanimous first question to me was...............where did the debris come from? I was not leading in my questions, nor did I have them watch the video.

They also all told me that if I ever have that happen while flying one of their kids around, to call an Uber for them (the passenger) before I self rescue from the field.

I can see removing the bail and dropping the bowl as a simple operation that could be allowed under appendix A. The thing is that is not all that is going on. You are not just flipping the bail and dropping the bowl. On the CTSW you have to remove the carburetor from the socket  to remove the bowl. Others you have to remove the drip tray. Again these things are not hard to do, but they can lead to other issues. I have had the balance change significantly after simply popping the carb off to check the float bowl during a condition inspection. I have had the floats not seat on the levers right causing the float valve not to seal properly causing flooding. I have seen the bowl gaskets shift and get pinched causing a fuel leak right over a hot exhaust pipe.

I have seen un certified people who could do this with no issues. I have seen certified people who shouldn't be doing this. The worse case will be un certified people who shouldn't be doing this doing it because of regulations saying it is OK for them to do.

Appendix A  would allow them to do it if they were just removing an arbitrary bail on some on some arbitrary fuel sediment bowl. A carburetor "float bowl" is NOT a sediment bowl.

Find me one carburetor assembly that refers to this reservoir as a "sediment" bowl or filter or gascolator.

Roger, In your video..........what are those small little black things that you nonchalantly take out to remove "sediment?  Floats..................... what are they riding up and down on? Why did the engine lose power to begin with? The ease of removing the fuel reservoir "bail" has nothing to do with the critical nature of maintenance on a carburetor.

I would echo that certifications are not the issues here. Safety is. There will always be people that are qualified on a legal basis that "should not" on a practical basis.............and conversely so.

However, I will emphatically say that the FAA is very wrong here if they think taking a carburetor bowl off and dumping out "sediment" falls under the heading of preventive maintenance.

Roger,

Get me your FAA contact info so that I can have an argument with them.............I promise to publish it verbatim on this forum for all to be entertained by.

Runtoeat,

where did your post go?

Not if........................for example you are the parent of a kid taking a ride with you when you landed that plane in the field due to power loss.

Easy sell.

See, not everyone who watches maintenance videos, or who flys airplanes is someone who does so in a Lone Ranger nothing can hurt me kinda way. The rules account for this.

By the way, I have no problem with a Lone Ranger approach when it is appropriate. I would also not want to leave my machine in a field, but I would if necessary.

And I don't mean to imply that you would do differently.

Remember that these regulations are not there as an end all be all solution to a problem, and that problem being maintenance induced failures. Rather, they are intended to raise the bar and qualifications in an attempt to reduce such failures. It's a statistics game. I'm sure there's a study somewhere about this.

The question was answered. No reason to turn this into a 20 page what if scenario.

To answer the second half of those what ifs:

If your problem didn't get solved by simply dumping the bowl which you should have actually seen debris then further carb tear down is necessary then you need a certificated person to perform that. 

The only hose that can give you debris in the carbs is the short 14" hose off the bottom of the pump that goes to the carb crossover fuel distribution assembly. 

Why? Because the fuel pump has its own internal filter and anything before this will get stopped there. Most engine either have the stainless steel carb feed tubes or the Teflon and neither presents a problem. Planes like the Sport Cruiser that uses rubber hose all the way to the carbs have a bigger concern.

The key comment here is that you should be able to see any debris.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, Roger Lee said:

So here is what I got back from the FAA on the rescue video and preventive maintenance activity. The emails are out of order. My question is below and the response is in blue.

Van.Stumpner (Van.Stumpner@faa.gov)To:you Details Slideshow

Van.Stumpner Van.Stumpner@faa.govHide
To whitefaced whitefaced@aol.com
Cc  
Bcc  
Slideshow

Greetings Doug, I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving and are doing well.  With regard to your email, I completely concur with the advice that you gave the operator of the SLSA. According to Part 43 Appendix A that deals with preventative maintenance (c) (23) only allows for the cleaning of or the replacement of fuel strainers or filters.  I would have thought that Rotax inspection requirements would cover fuel system maintenance pretty thoroughly with regard to contamination.  If this is a common occurrence perhaps a better solution would be to address the problem via a manufacturer safety directive. Like you, I can envision all sorts of bad things happening when an unauthorized person is performing maintenance on a fuel system in less than ideal circumstances. For SLSA aircraft, such maintenance would have to be accomplished by an A+P mechanic or an LSA repairman with a maintenance rating and would require a maintenance record entry.  Draining the carburetor bowl to check for contamination is covered on most of inspection checklists for GA aircraft that I’ve dealt with.  I was in KC to go through the TWA museum (ex-employee) and we walked through your hangar to see the MD 80 and I saw the guys working on the LSA and figured one of them was you. I still look forward to meeting you soon. Take care   Van

Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:51 AM
To: Stumpner, Van (FAA) <Van.Stumpner@faa.gov>
Subject: SLSA maintenance

Hi Van,

It is Doug Hereford in KC.

I have had a couple of things come up in recent past, and was hoping that maybe you could give a clarification, or point me to someone who could. I had a customer ask me about whether he could pull the float bowl off of his SLSA Rotax powered Sky Arrow and clear debris from the carburetor, in the event that he lost power and had to make an off airport landing. He referred to a you tube video as his source for this procedure to "self rescue". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBT-yQ_X3N8

I was a bit taken back by the question, but after some more looking into it, I am not sure that I am correct with what I told him. 

I told him that he should absolutely not do this. In my opinion, removing the carburetor(s) float bowls is not a preventive maintenance activity, and under an off airport set of circumstances, it would be ill-advised anyway.

Anyway, I just wanted to check and see if there were any special light sport opinions out there with regard to preventive maintenance and or this specific task in general. I will say that these Rotax carburetor bowls are pretty simple to remove on the 912 engines, but the float do come out with the bowl assy., and the carburetor itself is above the exhaust.

Hope things are going good for you. My guys told me that you were up in KC and in the hangar a while back. Sorry that I missed you. All is good in KCK.

Regards,

Doug Hereford

Here is a quote from what you said the FAA told you Roger:

Hi Doug,

I just did hear back. They quoted out of 43.1a and checked the video.

They said this is NOT a complex task and it is covered under the sediment / filter ruling under preventive maint. Their example was a Schebler Carb where to do the same bowl removal entailed removing a number of screws and some disassembly and then calibrating the carb. That is considered a complex task.  The Rotax carb bowl is just a sediment basin to collect debris and water before entering the carb like the gascolator which has a bale to remove it. Part 43.1a allows for a sediment filter or filters to be serviced by an owner as preventive maint.

This bale removal is not considered disassembly nor complex.

You can't take what the Rotax manual says for it's literal interpretation at times. This is why going to Rotax schools on a continuing basis (every two years) helps remedy things like this. There are changes to manuals that don't get published on a daily basis.  Most probably don't even know there are new March 2017 manuals out.

"The procedure also calls out for idle speed adjustment."

My way needs to adjustments. It becomes a mute point. Rotax believes in this statement that you disassembled the carb flushing out all orifices. All we're doing here is checking the sediment bowl.

So does this move me to the top of your X-Mas list?:fainting-1344::)

He

Doug, it appears that you somehow have been successful in getting a written reply from an FAA administrator involved with LSA policy.  I know from my personal attempt at this that this is not an easy thing to do.  Mr. Stumpner's comments leave no doubt that he does not consider removal of the float bowl to be a preventative maintenance item.  I will comply.   

Only because Van doesn't know about the differences. I will call him. All things may not be a blanket policy.

You have to give them ALL the facts and paint a complete picture and not a partial picture. This is why emails are a poor median for fact finding decisions. and interpretations. 

9 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Doug, it appears that you somehow have been successful in getting a written reply from an FAA administrator involved with LSA policy.  I know from my personal attempt at this that this is not an easy thing to do.  Mr. Stumpner's comments leave no doubt that he does not consider removal of the float bowl to be a preventative maintenance item.  I will comply.   

6 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Only because Van doesn't know about the differences. I will call him. All things may not be a blanket policy.

You have to give them ALL the facts and paint a complete picture and not a partial picture. This is why emails are a poor median for fact finding decisions. and interpretations. 

Getting comments from FAA officials accomplishes little or nothing.  Their favorable comments might not be determination in an enforcement action.

Getting an official written legal opinion does accomplish something though not perhaps the opinion you were seeking.

Ed,

I completely agree that the opinion is not very binding one way or another. Take it for what it is worth. I will say that Van's reference to a safety directive is actually the main point I was driving at from the beginning (thread started with mandatory vs not mandatory). Kind of got off into the weeds a little.

Archived